Father of the Bride Speech

4 watchers
Jun 2022
4:50pm, 13 Jun 2022
3,105 posts
  •  
B Rubble
I have done two FotB speeches for my two daughters. Hopefully that is all. A few things I think are important:

- Welcome the groom and his family to your family (be as friendly as you can).
- You're not there to be funny - but a gentle prod at the groom is acceptable.
- Make some cheerful comments about the venue, location, guests etc.
- No photos, especially those of the bride running naked on the beech when she was two! (but you can mention these without showing them).
- Say something nice about the bride (particularly her past and things that you and your OH have observed), the groom (as with the bride) and how you think they are made for each other.
- Some words of advice and support for the newlyweds. Good luck in their future together.
- Toast (but not of a monkey).

I would say to prepare well, but not too much. Whatever it takes for you to be comfortable and relaxed. It should be an enjoyable and happy occasion. Good luck, it's a fantastic thing to do.
Jun 2022
1:08pm, 15 Jun 2022
6,311 posts
  •  
westmoors
The only FotB speech I remember was at my friend's wedding. It went along the lines of:

"When D came home and said she was getting married I thought 'Great, a chance to see M (MotB) in something long and flowing'. A river came to mind!"
MsG
Jun 2022
1:39pm, 15 Jun 2022
2,126 posts
  •  
MsG
I don't remember much of the speech my father gave at my sister's wedding, apart from (a) he looked nervous (b) he was rambling on about how one of Dsis's bridesmaids was related to a former archbishop. I.e. did not cover any of the sensible suggestions above and not relevant to my sister or husband.

Good illustration of his personality.
He did not get asked to make a speech for my wedding.

We didn't have any speeches which worked pretty well.
Jun 2022
1:46pm, 15 Jun 2022
16,754 posts
  •  
Cerrertonia
I have listened to the wedding speeches of strangers many times, as a result of doing ceilidhs at weddings. I reckon B rubble is absolutely spot on.
Jun 2022
11:35am, 16 Jun 2022
2,403 posts
  •  
TnoP
Yes, I think B Rubble has nailed it! Many thanks.....
Jun 2022
11:39am, 16 Jun 2022
34,006 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
I am very glad to give away my daughter's hand in marriage, later, if all goes well, and I get to know the groom better, he can have the rest of her.

B. Rubble has it. No real need for jokes. Especially like that one.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by TnoP
Hi all.

My daughter is getting married in a few months so I'm starting to pull together my father of the Bride speech. I'm comfortable with making a speech, and have some decent notes already, but wonder if any of you lovely people have any good one-liners or have heard any good speeches that I can plagarise?
Many thanks