Ethical choices

3 watchers
Apr 2021
12:49pm, 12 Apr 2021
1,570 posts
  •  
Mushroom
Is anyone interested in ethical choices, or is that a price not worth paying anymore?

There's an environmental thread and a veggie thread but (apart from one short thread about trainers) I've not found one on ethical matters. These are related of course, but is there a more general conversation to be had? Does anyone consider any ethical aspects whilst making decisions?
Apr 2021
1:57pm, 12 Apr 2021
39,822 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I think we all have our own ethical framework. At work it is often quite clearly kid out. As an accountant and, now, as an academic, there are clear guidelines and regulations to follow. In personal life, though, there isn’t a written equivalent, unless, I suppose you follow the teachings of a particular faith?

(This is written while in the dentist’s waiting room, so not after deep thought!)
Apr 2021
1:57pm, 12 Apr 2021
39,823 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
kid out = laid out
Apr 2021
2:15pm, 12 Apr 2021
74,592 posts
  •  
swittle
Most, probably all professions present a statement of the ethics by which members are bound or guided - but such statements are general by their very nature, to ensure consistency.

There was reference recently in the 'Politics' thread to 'British values' - again, no firm conclusions have yet emerged there, except that such values are likely to differ in the case of most, if not every individual.

If ethics concern knowledge of right and wrong in any given situation, then the personal and the professional application of them are not too far apart, I suggest. However, what value do ethics have, and for whom? And why? And how and by whom are they applied?

[I'd better stop now...]
Apr 2021
7:22pm, 12 Apr 2021
22,264 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I do, often but not exclusively. I might present my vegetarianism as an everyday example of ethical choices in action. Other might argue that as a false position.

I tend broadly towards utilitarianism, which I got in part at least from reading Pete Singer's "Practical Ethics". It is available free-to-read as a PDF here: assets.cambridge.org

As this is from the publisher (Cambridge University Press) it does seem a legitimate source ie ethical to read, rather than buying a copy. I read a library copy, so perhaps analagous. This is the third edition, revised 2011. I must have read the first, or more likely second edition, so I am perhaps due a reread.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Mushroom
Is anyone interested in ethical choices, or is that a price not worth paying anymore?

There'...