City of London Race Sep 22

2 watchers
Aug 2012
10:35am, 21 Aug 2012
3 posts
  •  
bennevis
Do you fancy running in the City of London Race on Sep 22?

It's a challenge to run round the many historic buildings and iconic sites as fast as you can using a specially drawn map.
There's a special course for Newcomers (£5 entry fee) Course length 4km

* Please note the course lengths are “straight-line” measurements, expect to run around 50% further.

Full details at
cityrace.org
Aug 2012
6:25pm, 30 Aug 2012
4 posts
  •  
bennevis
The assembly area has been announced as Macadam Building Kings College

cityrace.org

Over 900 entries so far, with only 39 in the newcomers class - come on now's your chance to win a prize!
Aug 2012
6:31pm, 30 Aug 2012
3,077 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Perhaps you should point out that this is an O-race.

Is there EOD. I may or may not be in London that day..
Sep 2012
9:37am, 1 Sep 2012
5 posts
  •  
bennevis
No EOD according to website
'Entries are open and close midnight Sunday 9th September, or sooner if the race is full (some classes may close earlier if they fill before others.) Enter now – don’t miss out on a great race!'

Should have thought that 'running round with a specially drawn map' makes it pretty obvious it's an orienteering race - but in any case anyone interested would pick that up from the website if they clicked on the link
Sep 2012
12:35pm, 2 Sep 2012
2,021 posts
  •  
Garfield
Sounds intriguing...
Sep 2012
6:47pm, 2 Sep 2012
6 posts
  •  
bennevis
Garfield
If you want to see what a previous event looked like click on

http://www.slow.routegadget.co.uk/cgi-bin/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=31&kieli=

Click on choose course - I think the newcomers course was either 5 or 6
The triangle is where you pick up the map and choose your own route round visiting the checkpoints in numerical order
Solid gray are buildings, but a light gray denotes a passageway through but a canopy over your head, solid thick black line are uncrossable walls,
olive green is private land - out of bounds, yellow is grassland

If you click on any runner's name with an asterisk then click on 'view route' it will show which way they went (you can click on more than one at a time)
It's not always the fastest runner who wins but the one one finds the quickest way
Sep 2012
1:56pm, 28 Sep 2012
13 posts
  •  
bennevis
Here's a video of last Saturday's City of London Race which I did last week (and noticed a couple of Fetch vests on the way round)
This chap is running the Vets o/40 course and at around 4.15 he makes the same 'cockup' I did thinking I can get through the archway only to find an uncrossable fence. Luckily for me I didn't have to go into the Barbican with its multilevels like he does at around 15.45 and you can see he's having real problems deciding which level the control is on (17.50)

He finished in 2nd place in 47.09 which is not hanging about for a course around 11.5km
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsizB0hj6bE

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Do you fancy running in the City of London Race on Sep 22?

It's a challenge to run round the man...