Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Cholesterol

16 watchers
Feb 2015
9:52pm, 25 Feb 2015
171 posts
totalbeginner
Try making changes to things he likes. Like making pies with just a pastry top rather then under as well. Sprays like fry light supposed to be very good for cooking. If doing cottage pie try Browning the mince off without adding extra oil or even better try turkey or quorn mince. You can buy half fat cheese but I prefer using a stronger flavour but use less of it as I don't really like the lower fat cheeses. Chocolate mousee is relatively low calorie bug a sweet tooth. And instead of biscuits with a cup of tea (my weakness) I sometime have a cup of Ovaltine or options hot chocolate.

Oatbran is good, porridge as well. Swap to semi skimmed milk if he's still drinking full fat or drop to skimmed milk if he's on semi. In my experience if you cut everything out you crave it more so I'd cut down on portion if he particularly wants something that is higher calorie?
Feb 2015
10:13pm, 25 Feb 2015
32140 posts
Velociraptor
Jenelopy, I trust you've been to see your GP.

The majority of people who are sent by their optician to have their blood pressure/blood sugar/cholesterol checked because of findings on eye examination will turn out not to have high blood pressure/diabetes/high cholesterol, but we only pick up the people who *do* by checking everyone in whom the suggestion has been raised. You won't be wasting anyone's time.
Feb 2015
11:37pm, 25 Feb 2015
40 posts
Jenelopy
Thank you Totalbeginner and Velocirapter for the advice and reassurance. I'll make an appointment for next week.
Feb 2015
11:14am, 26 Feb 2015
1722 posts
Cyclops
I left out a small amount of beef mince, some quorn mince and some lentils for the cottage pie last night - and it didn't have any cheese on it - but it requires me to run round before work to organise it! I use frylight, eat porridge and drink skimmed milk - he (up till now) just refused.... At least it's all there for when he gets his head round it! The oat and dark choc cookies have been eaten :-). Planning a pear and almond 'thing' for the weekend from the Heart UK website recommendations.
Feb 2015
8:44pm, 26 Feb 2015
172 posts
totalbeginner
Pear and almond thing sounding good to me! Hope it turns out well
Feb 2015
9:21pm, 26 Feb 2015
22262 posts
Johnny Blaze
Erm, Benecol?

*runs away*
Feb 2015
9:51pm, 26 Feb 2015
1723 posts
Cyclops
I don't really know what Benecol is, or does or if it works. But he has it anyway :-)
Feb 2015
8:31pm, 27 Feb 2015
1033 posts
The Jogger
Is there any time when people should really take statins, I'm really finding this confusing? Mine was 8.7 but although I didn't want to go back on them my Doc said it was too high not to.
Mar 2018
10:48am, 16 Mar 2018
26532 posts
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
My gp referred me for the treadmill test given that my cholesterol is raised, LDL 3.9 in September 2016, not sure the lever of LDL when tested last November except it had increased, there is a family history of angina and 3 of my siblings have stents, I should have gone last November but didn't, gp was not best pleased so I went the day before coming on holiday, they were not happy with my BP and occasional chest pain which I thought was indigestion, I was given a prescription for statins, aspirin and a spray and referred for an angiogram, my they are quick as I am going to have it done Monday! My younger brother is also waiting for tests but rather frustratingly his local hospital is much slower/busier (?)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by surreystriderâ„¢
Just how bad is a level of 6.3. Just had an appointment and mine hasn't gone down at all since Nove...

Close