Cholesterol

31 watchers
Jun 2012
10:57am, 19 Jun 2012
7,781 posts
  •  
surreystrider™
Just how bad is a level of 6.3. Just had an appointment and mine hasn't gone down at all since November despite a diet that now doesn't include much red meat or dairy. Cardiologist has now put me on statins for this. My good cholesterol is 1.38 and bad is 4.12. I know 5.0 is where it should be but is 6.3 really bad?
Jun 2012
10:59am, 19 Jun 2012
4,825 posts
  •  
lammo
Sorry mate, no idea.

Hope you're OK though.
Jun 2012
11:12am, 19 Jun 2012
5,015 posts
  •  
Nikaim
I think my was on 7.4 or something pre-statins, so it could be worse but probably still a little high I must go and get mine checked again!
Jun 2012
11:14am, 19 Jun 2012
5,016 posts
  •  
Nikaim
Oh and by the way I am Vegetarian but i think you can be high in cholesterol as a hereditary thing too and no matter how much you tweak your diet you may still have high cholesterol!
Jun 2012
11:15am, 19 Jun 2012
20,700 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
If you have heart disease, kidney disease, hardening of the arteries in your brain or your legs, or diabetes, or a strong family history of heart attacks or strokes, 6.3mmol/l would definitely be an indication for treatment, but it's not "really bad" in the sense of indicating one of the genetic nasties that could send you to a very early grave. And your ratio of good to bad cholesterol isn't bad.

The last time I had my cholesterol checked (1994!) it was 6.2, but with a "good" cholesterol level of 2.6. I resolved not to have it checked again unless there was a reason.
Jun 2012
11:32am, 19 Jun 2012
42,895 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
What vrap said
(and id add in high blood pressure to that too, even if its controlled on meds)
I guess there is a reason for you to be seeing a cardiologist?
Jun 2012
7:33pm, 19 Jun 2012
7,782 posts
  •  
surreystrider™
Diagnosed with high BP following a medical/health check last October. First picked up during VO2 Max test where the results showed a 'lung age' 17 years less than I am. Swings and roundabouts! Cardiologist said that my levels may be naturally high though they were under 5.0 four years ago.
Jun 2012
7:42pm, 19 Jun 2012
12,155 posts
  •  
HellsBells
cholesterol on its own is a very poor indicator of CV risk - levels need to be assessed in relation to all your other risk factors - blood sugar, family history, BP, smoking history etc
As an isolated reading it's meaningless
I've never had mine done
Jun 2012
7:49pm, 19 Jun 2012
42,913 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Ah

High BP, then id go with the statins

there is no *bad or *good*

Its just a number
Feb 2013
3:25pm, 15 Feb 2013
6,270 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
Hi there, just been to the docs on one issue come out finding out my cholesterol is high!

So what I've been told is my number is 7, but the 'good' number is high too which is a good thing (apparently) think the numbers were 4.4 and 1.8, although I'm not entirely sure if this is 100% correct (wasnt paying that much attention)

My blood pressure is low (taking PH comment ^) at 101/82, yesterday I had my BP done for the gym induction it was 109/71 so similar? its normally on the low side.

Now then to this cholesterol thing.

Thinking of things that are known (?) to be bad for cholesterol -

While I do like the following things they are eaten in moderation back to the weight loss thing - cheese, creamy sauces (although I mainly cook tomato based sauces) mayo, chocolate and crisps, very occasionally we'll have a take away or go to the pub for food, if I was to count it over a monthly period 2-3 times (depending on working away it might raise to 3-4 times)

I dont eat many eggs, 1 a week if I'm lucky, prawns I love but dont eat them that often neither.

onto good things:

I cook from scratch 90% of the time, I use little oil & butter as someone who is constantly watching what I eat, meals tend to be a small portion of meat or fish with rice or pasta or potatoes and lots of veg. I mainly eat wholemeal/seeded bread, weetabix, use semi skimmed milk, very rarely have puddings or cakes.

I do have a glass or two of wine most nights, but normally 2 nights a week of no alcohol. I exercise fairly frequently, I may not be in the gym or running every day but I do clock up a few miles per week and walk the dogs too - I dont smoke and never have.

so based on the above and my age the doctor says she's more inclined to think it is the genetics causing the high cholesterol as opposed to diet, although I am sure I could make improvements on diet too - I'm good but not perfect ;) to the point she wanted to put me on statins - I have said I need to research this a bit more before I commit, I'd rather try diet before taking medication but she has basically told me they are life saving and I dont want to have a heart attack!!

What gets me is that I've always believed my cholesterol to be on the low side and perfectly fine yet today she said the last test I had in 2011 it was 6.9, so its only gone up 0.1 yet all of a sudden its at crisis point - is she panicking, is she right to be panicking? She is looking to refer me to a clinic.

Any help / advice would be greatly appreciated...... thanks in advance *slopesofftoinvestigate

About This Thread

Maintained by surreystrider™
Just how bad is a level of 6.3. Just had an appointment and mine hasn't gone down at all since Nove...