Chi Running

123 watchers
Feb 2017
9:11am, 8 Feb 2017
24,773 posts
  •  
GlennR
Yes, I have, back in 2009. Very useful, you'll be surprised how much you pick up.
Feb 2017
10:27am, 8 Feb 2017
12,403 posts
  •  
Columba
I saw a gait analyst just before Christmas, and it was he who recommended the book. He also suggested lots of exercises (which I have since found in the book) and video-ed me running (past him in both directions, towards him, and away from him). Picked out two things that might be contributing to the knee problem; I am working on these.

He also recommended "Whole body barefoot" (Katy Bowman). Still considering this. Most of my shoes already have no more than a 4mm drop between heel and sole.
Gus
Feb 2017
12:37pm, 8 Feb 2017
1,452 posts
  •  
Gus
I did a chi running day and found it very useful. I really need to do and update cos I've gone back into my bad habits after not running much for a year :(
Feb 2017
4:43pm, 8 Feb 2017
12,408 posts
  •  
Columba
Ah, a "day". I suppose there's a website?
Feb 2017
5:06pm, 8 Feb 2017
11,586 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I booked my chi running workshop on the entrycentral website. They seem to have various dates in different areas of the country.
XB
Feb 2017
5:36pm, 8 Feb 2017
4,706 posts
  •  
XB
My introduction was with Catherina McKiernan who came over to North Wales from Dublin. That got me started about 8 years ago.

I had a refresher with Michelle in Twickenham about 4 years later. Then a lesson from a chap in Whitley Bay. Really nice bloke and very informative video.

Always learning.
Feb 2017
7:17pm, 8 Feb 2017
14,545 posts
  •  
jennywren
I'm reading Danny Dreyer's book again and have been watching YouTube videos. Columba there's a link to good lesson in my last blog. I'm certain it's the way forward for me.
Feb 2017
7:56pm, 8 Feb 2017
1,306 posts
  •  
Goofee
I had a day with Michelle almost five years ago and whilst I didn't completely buy in to the whole concept there were elements that did very much strike a chord and which I worked on adopting. I am now able to run quite high mileage and suffer very little in the way of injury, when something does start to niggle I now automatically focus on the foot lift ideas I learned that day and this normally allows me to continue without problem.
Feb 2017
9:43pm, 8 Feb 2017
12,413 posts
  •  
Columba
I'll be happy with 3 miles, - then I could at least do parkruns.

High mileage would be good, though.
Feb 2017
9:56pm, 8 Feb 2017
14,548 posts
  •  
jennywren
I'll be happy with parkruns too. Wish there was a chi running teacher a bit nearer than Whitley Bay or London!

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Chi Running is a running technique which was developed by Danny Dreyer an ultra marathon runner who is a long time runner and student of T’ai Chi. The two main themes are energy efficiency and injury prevention. It combines the central movement principles of T’ai Chi with the sport of running to create a technique that shifts the workload toward your core muscles, allowing your leg muscles to work less. The results are increased efficiency and a significant reduction in injuries.

Recommended reading
amazon.co.uk

Chi Running Website
chirunning.com

Link to to a brief overview
http://www.fetcheveryone.com/article-view.php?id=99