Foot clipping other leg

2 watchers
Aug 2012
9:44pm, 29 Aug 2012
9 posts
  •  
Jiffy
Have had this problem for a few weeks now.
Left leg seems reluctant to drive through, feels like knee locks and won't bend as it should, which leads to foot clipping opposite calf.
Have completed long runs of 13 miles with this but now got to point where i can't carry on with it.
See a sports therapist every 2 weeks and have done for past 2 years, he's normally spot on with any niggles but even he is puzzled by this.
Just wondered if anyone has any thoughts please?
Aug 2012
8:07am, 30 Aug 2012
21,089 posts
  •  
cabletow
core strength needed - Also relax the arms - Ones foot can clip if one rotates the shoulders rather than lets the arms swing from the shoulders

your technique is likely to be a little off and may need some work
Aug 2012
9:54am, 31 Aug 2012
6 posts
  •  
Dementer
I've always suffered when I get tired and I clip the hard boney part of my opposite ankle. I started doing it more recently (when not tired) and this has resulted in me needing to bandage my ankles as I was developing an ugly gaping wound. I've been plagued with niggles on my right side this year so I think it's a sign of something being out of line.
Aug 2012
3:01pm, 31 Aug 2012
1,241 posts
  •  
IanThinkRunning
Glutes too. Usually medius IIRC.

Look here: getbodysmart.com

Weakness in here (common) will let the other side of the pelvis drop as your swing leg comes through. Because your tib and fib are attached (lower leg) then they get closer to the other leg and the foot clips the ankle.

Core muscles including the glutes. Also do some myofascial release on bum muscles to get them to relax...

http://youtu.be/bFzjdAL6ey4
Aug 2012
3:04pm, 31 Aug 2012
10,615 posts
  •  
RuthB2
I do this too, most often when I'm tired or towards teh end of a long run. Do you fall overa lot too (maybe that's just me). I'd echo that it's a technique issue, it can be fixed. Maybe get someone to video you running and you'll soon see what needs to be changed - with me I rotate my upper body too much, my arms can cross in front of my body instead of by my side, and this tends to rock my legs and feet, if that makes sense. When I focus on form the ankle clipping doesn't happen.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jiffy
Have had this problem for a few weeks now.
Left leg seems reluctant to drive through, feels like kn...