Chess beginners - everyone welcome, of course!

39 watchers
Jan 2021
3:28pm, 16 Jan 2021
37,123 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
For refugees from the Fetch Chess Club bamboozled by the complexities of some of the chat by the experienced Fetch chessers in there!

But, I'm sure we'd all welcome any input and help from those more experienced folk. And I suspect some of us are trying to improve too (I couldn't get any worse!)

Link back to the Fetch Chess Club in case you got here by mistake and are looking for the real chess folk! And also the Chess League is over there too, and also a Chess Challenge with Fetch teams playing against non-Fetchies too. fetcheveryone.com/forum/fetch-chess-club-61700/

So, in this thread, tips for improving, no question is too stupid, commiserations (please!) for losses etc.!
Jan 2021
3:31pm, 16 Jan 2021
37,124 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
A few questions from me:

What books or websites (if any) are fellow beginners using to try and learn?

How have you done in the Fetch chess games so far (I'm on 3 straight losses in Div 7, I think!)
Jan 2021
3:35pm, 16 Jan 2021
18,608 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
I saw the other thread and have tried a couple of games on chess.com but lost.

I know the moves pieces can make but know nothing of the way to approach the game. Not even basics
Jan 2021
3:47pm, 16 Jan 2021
19,475 posts
  •  
GimmeMedals
Chess.com is a good place to practise, Baz. There are daily puzzles which sometimes I get and often I'm confuddled by (so I make random moves until it gives me the thumbs up).

I started by playing against the computer and learnt to look further ahead than just the next move. That's about as far as I've got though as I haven't been reading up on the game or watching other matches, which would almost certainly help.
Jan 2021
3:53pm, 16 Jan 2021
18,609 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Yay. I just beat the computer. It was down to three pieces at the end and I suspect the computer didn’t try very hard.
Jan 2021
3:55pm, 16 Jan 2021
5,406 posts
  •  
jennyh
Great idea G! I did try looking on the main Chess thread (and am waiting to join a league next month), but I am absolutely rubbish! I’ve looked at some of the lessons on Chess.com, and have managed to get a few draws playing against the computer (and one win), but when playing against real opponents I still just seem to make silly errors all the time.
Jan 2021
4:13pm, 16 Jan 2021
4,929 posts
  •  
BanjoBax
Lichess is a totally free chess site, I like this practice exercises page, they're progressive so don't worry if you get to where they are hard (I can't do all of them yet) lichess.org

I'm not far past beginner and very blunder prone, that's probably the main thing to fix early on, this video a good start
https://youtu.be/Ao9iOeK_jvU

Analyse your games to work out where you went wrong and work on fixing it.
Jan 2021
4:19pm, 16 Jan 2021
25,806 posts
  •  
JulesR
A post bearing late night gifts....

Here are a couple of links to recommended chess books by Chernev we talked about in the footer as free downloads:

Logical Chess: dlscrib.com

Winning Chess: pdfdrive.com

Winning Chess splits chess down into separate tactics with chapters on Pin, Discovered Check, Skewer. I liked it a lot in my youth.
Logical Chess is a Mr Fetch recommend.
Jan 2021
4:20pm, 16 Jan 2021
2,030 posts
  •  
monsenb1
Hello all, i see chess is expanding and will take over Fetch Everyone soon! :) Loving it!
Jan 2021
4:24pm, 16 Jan 2021
18,610 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Omg. I am so bad. Said I had six blunders in my defeat. No idea what I am doing.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
For refugees from the Fetch Chess Club bamboozled by the complexities of some of the chat.

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.