Chelmsford Marathon

13 watchers
Mar 2022
2:39pm, 14 Mar 2022
9,414 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Thanks Phil. I hate doing a race where I feel like I’m one of the ones that everyone is waiting to finish before they can pack up, so I was hoping that a charity-based event would attract interest from runners like myself. Sounds promising!
Oct 2022
11:24am, 8 Oct 2022
8,560 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
One week to go and it seems that we have four of us in the marathon and one in the half.

Training hasn't been good [again] and I am reliant on a 17 mile walk last Wednesday. It was a ploy used by the first marathon runners and it worked reasonably well for me back in April, although it shouldn't be used instead of a long run.

I reckon that I will try to run the first nine miles and then run-walk the rest, which will be fairly similar to last year when I got round in 5:22. From memory, there is a gradual incline (if that) from miles 10-13 and it's rolling after that. No question that I will also be walking the two biggest hills around 16 and 20 miles as well.
Oct 2022
11:29am, 8 Oct 2022
10,223 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Best of luck Phil. I’ve been struggling with longer runs recently for various reasons so I was glad I could switch to the half instead.
Oct 2022
11:13am, 12 Oct 2022
8,587 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Thanks FDNB. I hope you have a good run too.

Weather forecast seems to be typical for the Chelmsford Marathon - dry with sunny intervals and 12 degrees at 9.00 am start time. Could be a bit breezy too. Temperature and the wind might pick up a bit by early afternoon. Hopefully, it will be a tailwind by then.
Oct 2022
1:35pm, 15 Oct 2022
8,603 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Latest forecast seems to be less breezy but another sunny marathon day in Chelmsford.

Have a safe journey and hopefully we'll get the chance to meet up at some point.
Oct 2022
12:42pm, 18 Oct 2022
8,611 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
How did you find it on Sunday? After the chaos in Central Park regarding race number and t-shirt collection, it was a really enjoyable day.

As expected, I ran the first nine and ran-walked the next seven. Unfortunately, I cramped up badly and could not run any of the next six miles without it kicking in hard. By mile 22, it had improved so I was able to run a bit more although it returned for the final half-a-mile so I just about crossed the finish line without falling on my face.

A personal worst for Chelmsford but another marathon completed. Had some good company along the course which is one reason to go back each year.
Oct 2022
12:50pm, 18 Oct 2022
871 posts
  •  
Shades
Surrey Phil - well done and another marathon completed.

I was due to run but came down with a cold on Saturday so a DNS for me.
Oct 2022
6:55pm, 18 Oct 2022
10,255 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
What happened at the T-shirt collection? I was there quite early and there were two orderly queues but that somehow had turned into three by the time I got my shirt.

I had a good race. I had no particular time ambitions so I had a steady run-walk and had pretty consistent splits, which pleased me. I was also pleased to finish before the first marathon finisher! :)

It’s a lovely course, nice that a good chunk of it is off road. I wasn’t sure what to expect in terms of elevation as I’d heard different opinions of how flat or hilly it was, certainly the half had nothing much that I’d call a hill.
Oct 2022
7:56pm, 18 Oct 2022
8,612 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Sorry you never made it, Shades. There's always another marathon if not Chelmsford next year.

Well done on your run, FDNB. The half-marathon doesn't have much elevation although you don't see as much countryside either. The marathon has climbs at 16, 18 and 20 miles but you don't feel guilty if you have to walk by that stage and it can still produce reasonably good times although a PB isn't necessarily a guarantee.
Oct 2022
6:26am, 19 Oct 2022
872 posts
  •  
Shades
Surrey Phil There is indeed always another marathon, I have Abingdon this weekend.

I have pencilled in Chelmsford for next year.

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Dave
Anyone else?