Chelmsford Marathon

13 watchers
Oct 2018
3:12pm, 23 Oct 2018
2,434 posts
  •  
jabberknit
Don't worry, Surrey Phil, I was delighted to finish in under 6 hours! Don't know Essex at all, and I was pleasantly surprised by how lovely the route was. Really enjoyed it, though I was very, very slow, especially towards the end as the heat was getting to me.

It's certainly one I'd consider doing again.
Sep 2019
4:30pm, 5 Sep 2019
3,152 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Despite being really behind with my training, I am still looking at taking part this year - just because I have done them all to date. It's a nice event and a few more runners will really do it some justice. I will probably sign up in the next few weeks.
Sep 2019
7:08pm, 27 Sep 2019
3,186 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Race pack arrived this morning - number 648. I think that the maximum field will be 750 a few short of the 1k they used to advertise the race as. Same course I think.

Did I see somewhere that there will be free t-shirts or technical shirts this year? I used to get them when they were free but not when they had to be bought.
Oct 2019
6:49pm, 4 Oct 2019
35 posts
  •  
kev-eats-owt
Doing Chelmsford Marathon for first time. My knowledge of Chelmsford is - youngest English city, home of Essex Cricket Club, Essex are County Champions.....that's it.

Can anyone recommend a place for my wife and son to do brunch while I'm running. Thanks.
Oct 2019
7:54pm, 4 Oct 2019
3,195 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Hi kev-eats-owt. It's a good event with most of it in the countryside and not too hilly, so I hope you enjoy it.

The Race HQ is where the pre-race build up and race finishes. There are usually a few kiosks there in Central Park where you can pick up something to eat. Also, the race start is no more than a five minute walk from the Race HQ in the shopping area, so there will no doubt be lots of eateries there too.

I can't recommend anywhere specific but there will be plenty to choose from.
Oct 2019
8:39pm, 4 Oct 2019
36 posts
  •  
kev-eats-owt
Cheers Phil, much appreciated
Oct 2019
10:47pm, 14 Oct 2019
3,209 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
At present, there are nine Fetchies taking part on Sunday and it looks as if the weather is going to be good as well.

I've done the previous five and enjoyed them immensely. However, and like last year, it will be a case of just getting around - hopefully inside five hours.
Oct 2019
9:53pm, 16 Oct 2019
50 posts
  •  
kev-eats-owt
Hoping for inside 4 hours and an enjoyable rain free experience. Done so much running in the rain recently have developed webbed feet.
Oct 2019
10:27am, 21 Oct 2019
3,217 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Surprised myself with 4:40:53 as I would have been happy just to duck under five hours due to the shortage of training time. A best ever marathon WAVA was also unexpected.

I really enjoyed the day as always with lots of good conversations around the course and post-race. All the marshals were brilliant so I'll definitely be back in 2020.
Oct 2019
1:07pm, 22 Oct 2019
51 posts
  •  
kev-eats-owt
Well done Phil I managed to get under 4 hours, 3.58:24. The route was surprisingly scenic, the course was rolling at times, but never hilly. The villages that we passed through were lovely and it was well organised may be back next year!

About This Thread

Maintained by Fat Dave
Anyone else?