Changing shoes

2 watchers
Jan 2014
10:27am, 24 Jan 2014
3,631 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Get well soon, Rev – hope it’s a strain rather than a tear…

Hmm – 521 miles since I got my current shoes. I won’t be sorry to see them go, given the amount of blisters they’ve given me (they never quite fitted right – that’ll teach me to assume that a +14 is the same as a +12 if it’s the same series). Three weeks to go until Valentines shoe fitting (very Cinderella) but at current wussy training rate, that’s only another 20-30 miles…
Jan 2014
10:36am, 24 Jan 2014
31 posts
  •  
JustDistracted
Hum I find this tricky too - I think if they don't feel quite right under the ball of my feet anymore, and leg niggles start to reappear then it's time to get new shoes, or rotate in another pair - I usually have 2 on the go, albeit usually the same make. I'm currently debating with self whether my 'parkrunner of the month' trainers I got about a year ago are indeed done :(
they don't quite feel the same as I up my tarmac milage ahead of HM although this could be because I've mostly been running parkbogsnorkel in my trail shoes recently...

Interesting to see a few people say non worn soles aren't an indicator of wornoutness as the soles aren't very worn at all...

I know why doesn't someone make a website where you can track all your runs, and what kit you used, and then I'd know how many miles I'd done... ;)

PS. I think I am in the right place to confess to not wanting to throw out trainers for sentimental reasons.
Jan 2014
10:36am, 24 Jan 2014
32 posts
  •  
JustDistracted
Oh and get well soon Rev!
Jan 2014
10:55am, 24 Jan 2014
15,269 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Interesting comment by Dooogs. I'm assuming, from personal experience, that you might be talking about Triaxes? If so, my shoe guy pointed out a very silly feature in the design of the shoe that served no purpose other than cosmetic.
Jan 2014
11:20am, 24 Jan 2014
3,632 posts
  •  
Dooogs
They're the ones, DeeGee. The +12s were fantastic and comfy until they fell apart. The insole of the +14s, by comparison, has a different contour to the the inside of the shoe and rubs constantly against my instep on both feet - even after 521 miles!

What was the silly feature you spotted?
Jan 2014
11:26am, 24 Jan 2014
13,865 posts
  •  
Mad Dame Fleecy
My road shoes usually only last 250-300 miles before they need replacing, I always know when as they give me niggly knees. I often keep the older pair for shorter runs though, then retire them later. I usually do most of my running offroad though and the squelchy mud means my trail shoes last much longer, it's not so crucial to replace those regularly in my experience.
Jan 2014
11:28am, 24 Jan 2014
4,215 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Sorry guys, bit of a hijack. If you had some shoes you liked (Ravenna 3's) and size 11's have vanished but you could get size 11.5. Would you? Or would you go get re-fitted for some different shoes?
Jan 2014
11:36am, 24 Jan 2014
3,634 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Good question, HB - I presume this is online-only? If they were in an actual shop, I'd try them on. :) Were the 11s roomy or on the tight side?
Jan 2014
11:39am, 24 Jan 2014
4,216 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
yeah it's online only, I can;t find any 11's anywhere, online or in shops. One online shop has 11.5 in stock so wondering if I should pull-the trigger or run with the one pair I have (380 miles so far so on theory they will be fine for London) and use my Saucony's as back-up for some training tuns to lighten the load.
Jan 2014
11:41am, 24 Jan 2014
3,636 posts
  •  
Dooogs
Unless the 11s feel roomy, I'd risk the 11.5s - my feet change size by more than half a size during the day...

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
It's been suggested that my shoes might have something to do with my calf strain. How do you know ...