Calling all Cambridge runners can you identify this man?

5 watchers
Feb 2016
1:46pm, 18 Feb 2016
1,996 posts
  •  
Drell
This rather distressing item has just appeared in my inbox. The original is at http://www.milton.org.uk/news/opus3298.html. If you think you know who he is, call the police on 101.

Police are appealing for the public's help in identifying a man who died while out running in Milton yesterday evening (Wednesday, February 17). The man, believed to be in his 50s or 60s, was found collapsed by two members of the public on a footpath at the entrance to Milton Country Park off Fen Road at just after 5pm.

Police, ambulance and MAGPAS attended, but despite best efforts he was pronounced dead at about 5:35pm.

The man is described as white, large build with short light brown hair that was balding on top.

He was last wearing a red waterproof jacket with an orange high-vis tabard over the top. Under the jacket was a peach t-shirt and a black wicking running top. He was also wearing blue skin-tight leggings with knee-length dark blue shorts over the top, white socks and white Oasics trainers with red crossed stripes.

The only things in his possession were a door key and a green and white stripped handkerchief.

It is believed the man died of natural causes and the death is not being treated as suspicious.

Sergeant Stephen Phillips said: "We want to do all we can to identify this man and make contact with those close to him.

He could be someone who has failed to turn up for work this morning and hasn't called in sick.
I would urge anyone who may know someone who matches this description to contact us immediately.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police by calling 101.
Feb 2016
2:04pm, 18 Feb 2016
20,507 posts
  •  
HellsBells
I've shared if when I saw it on FB
I hope they find his family soon
Feb 2016
2:16pm, 18 Feb 2016
5,147 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
Popped up on my FB from the Cambridge Evening News report. I often run with no identification on me too - made me think twice, I hope they are soon able to identify him and let his family know. :-(
Feb 2016
2:43pm, 18 Feb 2016
1,668 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I've got a roadid.com rubber bracelet thing with contact details
Feb 2016
3:02pm, 18 Feb 2016
17,359 posts
  •  
GlennR
Good lord. :-o
Feb 2016
4:14pm, 18 Feb 2016
3,107 posts
  •  
Ceratonia
Only time I ever have ID or emergency contact details would be at parkrun. I tend to assume that if something went wrong in my village, people would recognise me and anyway my wife would raise the alarm if I was not back. Writing my name on the label of my shorts wouldn't do any harm I suppose.

On a slightly related note, those of you who remember James Kew, from Ashdon, the Saffron Striders Runner who was killed by a power line while on a club training run in 2012 might like to know that UK Power Networks were fined £1m plus costs last month for the incident, which has led to the whole power industry adopting a different procedure for such events (ie turn the power off remotely first, rather than waiting for someone to inspect.)
Feb 2016
4:29pm, 18 Feb 2016
3,102 posts
  •  
postieboy
What a sad story, I hope it's resolved very soon. :(

I also have a road id bracelet. They have up to five lines where you can put your name, emergency contact numbers and any very brief medical info. They aren't that expensive and the couple of orders I've put in only took 10 days to arrive from the US, not bad at all as each order is individual in it's nature. Well worth it just in case something bad happens, you never know as they say.
Feb 2016
5:32pm, 18 Feb 2016
633 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
Poor man, I hope they identify him soon.

I always run with either my parkrun wristband, or my phone - both have an emergency number on them.
Feb 2016
9:41pm, 18 Feb 2016
31,837 posts
  •  
Hills of Death (HOD)
Oh no tragic makes you think about running with ID
Feb 2016
11:23am, 19 Feb 2016
20,509 posts
  •  
HellsBells
still not been identified :-(

how desperately sad that no-one seems to have missed him :-(

About This Thread

Maintained by Drell
This rather distressing item has just appeared in my inbox. The original is at http://www.milton.org...