Calf Can You Help

1 watcher
Sep 2011
8:02pm, 18 Sep 2011
First-time poster!!
  •  
Dan the Man 09
HI -please can you help? running today - got to 8 miles and felt severe pain in the midle of my right calf. I thought it was cramp (though have never suffered from the past) I had to stop running, managed to walk and then get into ta stride of sorts. Finished run with a sort of hobble 11.5 miles.

I still have severe pain in the area; have eaten, am well hydrated - id not think I sweated more than normal during the run, was my normal distance (I run up to 15 miles) pace was the same/normal, shoes etc - the only difference was that I was running on a smooth ish grass track (I never normally run on that type of service); always tarmac paths.

So 10 hours later, struggling to walk/get up stairs - suspect that it is not cramp! can anybody help/suggest what this might be?

Thanks in advance.
Sep 2011
8:30pm, 18 Sep 2011
4,579 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Hello Dan - welcome to the Forums even if it is not ideal circumstances. The middle of the calf at the back? I'd say soleus tear*. If so, take it easy for a few days, don't run, walking may be ok, don't stretch it. What it needs is time.

* Based on my experience with similar, other opinions may differ.
Sep 2011
8:59pm, 18 Sep 2011
2 posts
  •  
Dan the Man 09
Thank you Dvorak - yes at the back in the middle thanks for your post.
Sep 2011
9:12pm, 18 Sep 2011
9,097 posts
  •  
Yorkshire Pie
Have you iced it? I pinged my calf recently and the physio I spoke to was suggesting to do that rather than any stretching etc for a couple of days until it calms down. He did suggest stretching after a couple of days, and paddling your foot up and down to keep it mobile rather than completely avoiding using it.
Sep 2011
10:06pm, 18 Sep 2011
464 posts
  •  
NRGEE
I too have a calf problem. I was out training on Thurs when I felt a tightness in my achilles region.......it was just a tight feeling,so I carried on running. The tightness gradually became a pain in my soleus muscle. I did manage to complete my 6mile run. Next day pain on walking. Booked to see physio- diagnosed a tight soleus muscle, not a tear. She massaged it and gave me a little ultrasound.Was told to ice over the next 48hrs ,then to use heat. Stretches given. Was told I could run upto 6m on Sat and if it wasn't ok- to book in again. I tried a gentle run this am;but only managed 0.6m as calf was aching:-(
Question is.......do I pay another £35 for an appt?(the physio I saw is on holiday,so I would see a different physio. This may be a good thing as a second diagnosis would be good. The calf is tender to touch and I am concerned it has a slight tear)i have a marathon planned in 6weeks.....
Sep 2011
10:49pm, 18 Sep 2011
4,870 posts
  •  
BelleVueRacer of Beartown
Nrgee - similar happened to me, a phys sorted the calf out.

Get a recommendation fir a decent phys, pref a runner.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
HI -please can you help? running today - got to 8 miles and felt severe pain in the midle of my rig...