C25K

9 watchers
Jan 2019
3:41pm, 28 Jan 2019
30 posts
  •  
shyfire
Well done DazW your making good progress. Apart from running up and down the parkrun finish funnel about 40 times on Saturday(number checking) I didn't manage any other running last week. Did core, spin, lbt and some PT sessions to work on tight quads/unhappy knees so felt adding running in would be too much! I am going to try the week 4 sessions before my PT this week though. Keen to hear how Cats Whiskers final week has gone?
Jan 2019
5:03pm, 29 Jan 2019
13 posts
  •  
DazW
Shyfire,
I think taking a few days off from running can be good too gives the body time to recover and gives you a boost in performance on the next run. At least that's what I found when I was running 10 k before my injury.

I'm trying not to get to fixated on times / distance...as long as I do some physical activity. I'm trying to run 3 times a week and fit walking and weight training in between.

I would also be interested in how Cats Whiskers final week has gone and what comes after C25K???
Jan 2019
2:29pm, 30 Jan 2019
488 posts
  •  
Cats Whiskers
Sounds like you're both making good progress and including cross-training is a great idea. How are this week's sessions going?

I'm a bit behind the plan because I had to have a few days off for a mild stomach bug. Got back out there again today, though, and did day 2 of week 9. 30 mins running completed and it felt good, probably because I had to drop the pace a bit as the paths were slippery. Hoping to complete the programme tomorrow.

Better start searching for another plan!
Jan 2019
7:23pm, 30 Jan 2019
14 posts
  •  
DazW
Just completed run 1 week 4, seemed like a big jump up to 5 minutes running, I did manage it but felt it afterwards. Maybe its because I've been on my knees all day fitting skirting boards.

Cats Whiskers, your nearly there! one more run!

Any thoughts on whats next? I think when I complete the program I will spend a couple of weeks running 30 minutes and then start to increase 1 run a week by a few minutes.
Feb 2019
11:27am, 1 Feb 2019
491 posts
  •  
Cats Whiskers
Well done for getting through that session, DazW. I also found some of the Day 1 sessions felt like a bit of a jump but by the time I'd done them three times, they felt manageable. For me, part of the problem was actually believing I could actually run for that length of time, rather than being able to manage it physically. I'm sure the skirting boards had quite a bit to do with it!

I've just completed the final C25K session this morning. It's good to get to the end of the plan and I'm looking forward to building on it.

I've had a quick look at some "Bridge to 10K" plans but the ones I've found all seem to jump up to about 40 minutes of running in week 1. Has anyone else seen anything that builds up more gently?

At this stage, I think I'm going to stick to 3 sessions a week but add 2-3 minutes each week to one run, do one 30-minute run and introduce some gentle intervals in the third session to build up a bit more speed.
Feb 2019
12:11pm, 1 Feb 2019
31 posts
  •  
shyfire
Good running everyone. I have done 1 run this week, straight after spin on Monday with and no headphones/music so multiple 5 min running seemed too big an ask on tired legs. did variation on Week 3 with multiple 3 min runs. I'm going to aim for Week 4 tonight on treadmill then again on Sunday.

I haven't seen any good what next plans - suppose question is do you want to stick to 5K initially (and maybe get faster since I wont be doing it in under 30 mins!) or quickly move up to 10k. Your idea sounds sensible Cats Whiskers though.
Feb 2019
12:46pm, 1 Feb 2019
15 posts
  •  
DazW
Well Done Cats Whiskers!
I agree with Shyfire, that seems like a reasonable continuation from C25K.

I've just done week 4 run 2 which seemed a lot easier than the first one so still on track.

Shyfire, the thought of running straight after a spinning class sounds brutal, big well done on your efforts though!
Feb 2019
12:49pm, 1 Feb 2019
492 posts
  •  
Cats Whiskers
You did well to run after spinning, shyfire! I've usually been knocked out for a couple of days after a tough spin class. Hope the rest of Week 4 goes well.

That's a good question. I'm happy to stick around the 5K mark for a bit and just try to consolidate/get a bit faster. There's a torchlight 10K in a local forest I'd like to do at the end of March, but I'd be happy to run/walk that.
Feb 2019
8:29pm, 1 Feb 2019
32 posts
  •  
shyfire
Just back from the gym and a treadmill run. Woohoo am on a dolphin high! Kind of week 4 run with 3 x 5 min runs, an 8 mins run and a couple of 2 mins slightly faster.

Brill that the 2nd run was easier DazW.

Torchlight 10k sounds fab Cats Whiskers, if that's about 2 months away then you have plenty time to add a couple if mins each week onto one of the runs.
Feb 2019
5:37pm, 13 Feb 2019
17 posts
  •  
DazW
How is everybody's training going?

I have just started week 6 C25K and I'm feeling pretty good, running three times a week with walking and weight training on the days I don't run. Ive lost 11lbs in weight as well which is a boost and my blood pressure is back down into the normal range. So things seem to be working, planning on dusting off the hillwalking boots for some spring / summer mini adventures in the Scottish hills.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
Hi All,
I have just started doing the C25K to get myself up and running again. I used to do a bit o...