Blogging tips

2 watchers
Jan 2016
4:36pm, 24 Jan 2016
21,108 posts
  •  
McGoohan
One thing I'd observe is that I don't read blogs where people blog elsewhere (Wordpress/whatever) and then just link to it from a one-liner blog here. I realise people don't want to write the same stuff twice but then I don't feel bound to go off Fetch to read elsewhere either.
Jan 2016
4:40pm, 24 Jan 2016
5,017 posts
  •  
BaronessBL
I agree with McGoohan, I will occasionally read a blog elsewhere when someone has posted a link but I wouldn't usually then follow that blog and look forward to the person's next 'installment' in the same way that I do with the blogs on this site.
Jan 2016
4:40pm, 24 Jan 2016
8,505 posts
  •  
Sharkie
I agree McGoo - it seems a sort of cheat somehow! I make one or two very rare exceptions - Canute because he rarely links to his other blog, and it is very different and specific (and always dead interesting) and Medalslut sometimes - I don't know why I let her off and not others to be honest!

Perhaps linking to a blog elsewhere seems like 'using' Fetch? For advertising!
Jan 2016
4:47pm, 24 Jan 2016
22,577 posts
  •  
Night-owl
Im with all of the above for the same reason I'm sorry

I've blogged elsewhere in the past but love it here
Jan 2016
5:30pm, 24 Jan 2016
17 posts
  •  
Granty Boy
I can appreciate the view of having everything in one place here on FE.

If anyone wants to read my blog, though, here is the link:
takingthehighroad.blog.com
Jan 2016
8:26pm, 24 Jan 2016
1,572 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
The most important thing I was ever told was "Write from personal experience". So I always try to write about stuff that's meant something to me. I only ever blog here, although I do keep a journal.
Jan 2016
8:31pm, 24 Jan 2016
26,142 posts
  •  
OhMyFleecingGod
I sometimes read blogs linked to on here, but only if they give a bit of a taster rather than just a link, otherwise it seems a bit rude. If you want people to actually read your blogs, you'll probably get more readers on fetch than on some Wordpress site which you have to promote so that people can actually find it. I have a Wordpress blog for uni type stuff but get far more comments and views on my fetch blogs. It's difficult to find Wordpress blogs as there are literally millions of them.
And if you want views, Sharkie has established that food sells. Even more than sex :)
Jan 2016
11:50pm, 24 Jan 2016
12,369 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I hope to amuse a few people with my blog. Sometimes to provoke. Usually I record what I've been up to.
Jan 2016
1:10am, 25 Jan 2016
6,628 posts
  •  
pedroscalls
Sometimes my blog will raise a chuckle or 2, but mainly mine are just the same boring stuff repeated with the words rearranged. Regarding links to blogs on other sites, generally I don't click on links unless it's someone I follow specifically.
Feb 2016
5:48pm, 1 Feb 2016
18 posts
  •  
Granty Boy
In case anyone is interested, I've added a new post to my blog. Its a weekly update/ month in review kind of update.

takingthehighroad.blog.com

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I've been inspired to start writing a blog, and have started one on a blog-specific site.

I've ...