'Easy Interval Method'

1 lurker | 18 watchers
SPR
Feb 2022
5:30pm, 20 Feb 2022
36,304 posts
  •  
SPR
J2R - Re the discussion about recovery we had previously (specifically about 200s), there's a good file for doing the intervals by time which was posted by Klass earlier this month. Based on that, I'll probably take a bit more rec next time I do 200s. Could slow down on 400s a bit as well. 1000s fine.
I do have ups and downs on my routes so that can affect pace
SPR
Feb 2022
3:09pm, 21 Feb 2022
36,315 posts
  •  
SPR
Considering a mile or 2000m interval set for my weekend run this weekend.

Did 5 x 1000 today as I got my weekday run back up to the normal a little over 7 miles. Very much enjoying the relaxed speed in these. Friday with the wind was a bit tougher than expected though (6 x 1000 in a 9.5 mile run)

Good work on the 5k GeneHunt59
Feb 2022
3:14pm, 21 Feb 2022
3,243 posts
  •  
GeneHunt59
Thanks SPR
J2R
Feb 2022
5:12pm, 21 Feb 2022
4,092 posts
  •  
J2R
5 x 1000m for me today too. I would normally do 6 but these were at the faster end of my range and I decided not to do the last one, as a notional first step in my planned taper over the next two weeks, leading up to a big target race (Cambridge Half Marathon). I, too, enjoy the relaxed speed of these.

I'll be fascinated to see what impact EIM has on your results, SPR, as I've watched your progress in the last 2-3 years with admiration and not a little envy. If you continue to improve while using EIM, it will be a good mark of the efficacy of the method. (If you're not already training rigorously, pretty well any decent training method will bring results, but that's very clearly not the case with you).
SPR
Feb 2022
7:18pm, 21 Feb 2022
36,317 posts
  •  
SPR
Thanks J2R

Until I think my training is perfect (which will probably be never) or until age becomes an issue, I think there's room for improvement.

As I alluded to earlier the niggle I got and realising sprints with walk back rec seemed easier than constant running was what brought the method to mind. The other side of it is I've done my highest mileage ever over the last 12 months (this time last year my peak 365 was around 1,600 miles from 2018, now it's 2,262 from 12 Feb with current 365 of 2,255) so I think the base is solid (but I haven't had a step change in race performance yet), therefore the right speed is what I need (which I think is aerobic intervals). Without the niggle, I'd have probably continued with Pirie intervals that I started in December. They are tougher than easy intervals though (and Garmin recovery advisor agrees with a day of those in the way I was doing them needing 50 hours Vs the usual 21 for EI) so it's nice to have found a speed option that feels like it can be kept going at all times (eg 1-2 weekly easy interval session could work fairly well in a standard base training plan and the 3 a week I've been doing over 6 runs a week for the last couple of weeks has felt ok).

I suppose the question regarding EIM is can it build the solid base or is it better layered on top of that base or in late base phase (assuming you go all in with the method)? Sure Klass will say it can but I might be a bit more worried if I hadn't already built a solid base myself. The one thing I think is still needed at this point for racing confidence at say 5k for me is a weekly progressive run but need to trust the niggle to cope first (I'm starting with shorter ones on sprint days but last week's was more steady than progressive).
SPR
Feb 2022
7:24pm, 21 Feb 2022
36,318 posts
  •  
SPR
Race well in the HM J2R.
SPR
Feb 2022
7:33pm, 21 Feb 2022
36,319 posts
  •  
SPR
*Klaas.
J2R
Feb 2022
8:37pm, 21 Feb 2022
4,093 posts
  •  
J2R
I started with EIM in March last year, and at first I didn't really intend to go all in with it, as there was no real reason to change, I was getting good results with the existing training and wasn't getting injured. It was just out of curiosity really. But in fact I have adopted it rather more completely than I had originally intended.

Given that I already had a decent base going into it, I can't say for sure whether it is an effective way to build a base. I can't see why it wouldn't be, though. I find myself doing the same sort of mileage as I was before (typically a little under 2000 miles per year), so I would imagine it is just as effective. Unfortunately I have no long distance race results which prove its effectiveness irrefutably for me, but as I have mentioned here before, that's to do with things completely outside my training (a long term problem with my neck which causes frequent migraine-related nausea, which gets in the way of race performance).

I certainly don't think EIM has harmed my performance, though. In October 2020 I ran a local slightly undulating HM in 83:20, and then in May last year, 3 months into my EIM training, under similar conditions, I ran the same race in 81:49. I improved on that time by 27 seconds at Cambridge (a faster course) later in the year. I'd like to think I was in sub-1:20 form for Cambridge in 2 weeks time (I did 1:20:00 there in 2019), and I may well be, but to get that time I have to be feeling well on the day. It's in the lap of the gods.
SPR
Feb 2022
10:55am, 22 Feb 2022
36,320 posts
  •  
SPR
J2R you said earlier that you thought the method would be better for MD which suggests less base.

When you say you've adopted EIM more completely, what does that entail?

I did 15 x 200 today taking 20 secs walking on each side of rec and I think I'd rather do those in Pirie style and on track. You just get into a better rhythm with a jog rec rather than walk, jog, walk even if it's harder. There are ways to make the Pirie ones easier. Less walking (as you do J2R) would maybe make it flow better.
Feb 2022
12:15pm, 22 Feb 2022
1,969 posts
  •  
Brunski
I'm intrigued by this but mnot sure if I'd have the discipline to walk between faster periods. Maybe I'm being a bit self conscious but I'd be thinking others watching would assume I was 'gassed' and needed a rest even though its quite the opposite.

I think a lot of adaptions for longer distance running are from spending chunks of time at/around threshold, I've done the 30/30s previously and thought the main plus of them was your effort levels not really dropping much during the recoveries and I end up with a gradually climbing heart rate that spans either side of threshold for 20 mins.

I've not bought the book as have just stumbled across this from the polarised thread and can see how this may better suit middle distance runners than those training for a marathon. A HM might work if you include enough of the longer intervals (as you both have).

Just my thoughts. I'll be interested in seeing your upcoming results and how you think the training has affected them.

About This Thread

Maintained by J2R
Has anyone on here explored the 'Easy Interval Method', as outlined in this book - https:/...