Ankle Taping for trail running

3 watchers
Apr 2022
2:41pm, 27 Apr 2022
4,327 posts
  •  
Kieren
https://youtu.be/amKCvjsuMxg

Just wondering if anyone tapes their ankles for trail running and of so feels if it is beneficial?

I broke my ankle last year. I can't imagine a bit of tape would stop 65kg at the end of a lever snapping my ankle but the sensation of tape tightening might be enough to raise awareness?

I'm on the fence with buying some tape. Taking a mountain holiday soon, where it would be a great shame not to trail run, so might just buy tape anyway and hope for the best.

I thought off road fetches might have some thoughts / wisdom on ankles and off road running
Apr 2022
3:01pm, 27 Apr 2022
1,031 posts
  •  
paulcook
I can’t answer your question however I have wondered about something similar before especially as as a youngster I was prone to ankle sprains, etc.

And perhaps more pertinent to how your phrased it about protection / load, I’ve noticed some tennis players, Andy Murray being a prime example, wearing actual ankle braces and have wondered if a brace would be overkill or be much more likely to offer the kind of protection you suggested.
Apr 2022
8:02pm, 27 Apr 2022
5,087 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
I've never taped ankles, although have used an elasticed shaped grip ( ie like a sock but only around the ankle, not all the way to the toes ). The problem with those is getting the right size, ie not too tight and not too slack. Using tape obviously means you can apply to your desired tightness.

That method looks reasonable though, albeit a bit of a pfaff with 3 different products needed.

Hadn't seen that pre-wrap before, a good idea as my immediate thought before watching was that just sticky tape would be used and it would be a literal pain to remove.

If you can get an elasticated support of the right size then a lot easier to put on, take off, and is washable.
um
May 2022
6:29pm, 1 May 2022
6,020 posts
  •  
um
Have you tried some of the high ankle running shoes, like the Inov-8 ones? sportsshoes.com

If you can find a cheap source.

My physio did try taping my knee a year or so ago, but I really didn't notice the difference, not even any psychological boost, so I tried it twice, then never bothered. Left it on for about a week, until it started coming lose.
May 2022
6:34pm, 1 May 2022
5,266 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
Yes I have used tape when coming back from strain. It does support for a while and I personally found it help mentally.
May 2022
6:36pm, 1 May 2022
5,267 posts
  •  
RRR-CAZ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§
I have taped my footballers back in the day. Never done it for trail running though (disclaimer)
May 2022
12:57pm, 3 May 2022
4,330 posts
  •  
Kieren
Thanks Paul. On the video the runner uses the non-stretch tape which might give that early warning sensation. My fracture was a ligament ripping a chunk of bone off after stepping in a rabbit hole at about 6:40 minute mile pace. I do have doubts about the tape but I don't always know where my foot is in space and tape tightening might be the sensation to throw my weight over my hip a split second faster.

----

Thanks Um - I have never seen running shoes like that. I bought a new pair of trail shoes before seeing that from Decathlon. Unlike my current Nike Wildhorse, these are both a lower heel drop (4mm vs 9mm) and a lower midsole stack height overall - I think half. I hope being closer to the ground reduces my risk somewhat.

image taken from a good review (google translate) at website: runmag.fr

---
Thanks RRR_Caz - I think I was just being cheap not buying any on my last shop. In theory, my ankles are stronger than ever because I have been doing band resistance work for 6 months, wobble boards etc. The injured foot still has some paid and that's what scares me. I think I'll just spend the Β£20 or so the tapes will cost and practice.

Even if I don't find it useful for prevention, it's probably not a bad thing for runners to have in the first aid kit - especially on any sol trail runs.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Kieren
https://youtu.be/amKCvjsuMxg

Just wondering if anyone tapes their ankles for trail running and of so feels if it is beneficial?

I broke my ankle last year. I can't imagine a bit of tape would stop 65kg at the end of a lever snapping my ankle but the sensation of tape tightening might be enough to raise awareness?

I'm on the fence with buying some tape. Taking a mountain holiday soon, where it would be a great shame not to trail run, so might just buy tape anyway and hope for ...