Driving after sprained ankle?

1 watcher
Aug 2013
2:43pm, 10 Aug 2013
378 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
I'm looking for your experience of driving after spraining an ankle, to help me set my expectations.

It's my left ankle, and I drive a manual diesel car, so a fairly heavy clutch. I know I shouldn't drive until I can operate it pain-free. The sprain is fairly mild, I think, based on the fact that I have been able to walk throughout.
Aug 2013
2:44pm, 10 Aug 2013
379 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
And just in case my implied question wasn't obvious - how long did it take you to get back to driving, and how bad was your sprain?
Aug 2013
2:48pm, 10 Aug 2013
26,527 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I was driving a manual car on the same day as I sustained an ankle sprain (from jumping off a kitchen worktop) that stopped me running for six months.
Aug 2013
2:48pm, 10 Aug 2013
25,208 posts
  •  
swittle
Exercising the ankle before it's healed with prolong the injury: that includes driving and, I suspect, running again.

Get pain free, then start steadily with strength & flexibility work. Walking on level grass may help strengthen the damaged limb.
Aug 2013
2:59pm, 10 Aug 2013
26,528 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
For most folk, it's a case of "needs must". My advice would be to avoid driving if you can't operate the pedals without having to brace yourself first, because that would compromise your safety and that of other road users. But if you can flex and extend the ankle freely and comfortably enough to operate the pedals, by all means drive.
Aug 2013
4:15pm, 10 Aug 2013
81 posts
  •  
thuginasuit
Easy answer swop for an automatic.
Aug 2013
4:37pm, 10 Aug 2013
383 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
Expensive solution to a temporary problem...

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RevBarbaraG
I'm looking for your experience of driving after spraining an ankle, to help me set my expectations...