Ankle help!

2 watchers
Mar 2013
10:43pm, 9 Mar 2013
4,406 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Hi, I have similar, but less severe problems to you. I'm aiming to work on my ankle flexibility, because it's dreadful, which I think leads to some of the problems I have with turning my ankles.

Proprioception is also important - I do a bit of standing on one leg whilst doing the washing up, brushing teeth or something else. It's even more effective if you do it with your eyes closed.
Mar 2013
8:47am, 10 Mar 2013
6 posts
  •  
Ymee
Multi tasking - good idea! Though I suspect if I tried doing the washing up standing on one leg with my eyes closed, it may end in disaster....
Mar 2013
10:18am, 10 Mar 2013
10 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
I don't imagine I'd come off very well if I tried to brush my teeth on one leg with my eyes shut.

One lost tooth, a minor concussion and bloodstained sink later...
Mar 2013
3:15pm, 11 Mar 2013
238 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
I have a similar problem, firstly to echo what everyone has said ice rest etc etc all very important. I find compression socks help when im running as they seem to stabalise everything a little more than it is normally. I have been doing all the one leg things, one legged squats if you can master them are very effective. However the biggest gain I seem to have maid has been from doing body pump once a week. I dont know if its because the lunges etc are strengthening my ankle or because my legs are generally stronger full stop because of it.
Mar 2013
9:11pm, 11 Mar 2013
14 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Right, Ymee, I tried the proprioception test, in the hot tub on the good ankle Diagnosis: it is crap.

Any miracle cures?

On the bright side, this time it is healing quickly and I am optimistic that I can race on Sunday. Even if I have to drop out of the run, I will at least do the swim to get some practice in competition. My problem swimming is that I don't know how to race: my average speed for the 400m is the same as for a 1500m.
Mar 2013
2:00pm, 12 Mar 2013
7 posts
  •  
Ymee
Sadly, miracles are beyond me! It takes a long time to sort this kind of thing out, and each time you go over on your ankle you risk causing more damage. I'd say definitely see a physio. You could try getting yourself a wobble board.
I hope you're fit enough for your race. I can't help you with the swimming: I only manage one race speed too, except that mine is SLOW!!
Mar 2013
6:08pm, 12 Mar 2013
16 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Ymee, I've already got double your posts. Get on it! (All this spare time from not actually training.)
Mar 2013
8:31pm, 12 Mar 2013
9 posts
  •  
Ymee
Oh dear. I'm going to have to get some courage!! Looks like it needs about a hundred posts before we can lose the L plates too!!
Mar 2013
8:35pm, 12 Mar 2013
7,699 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Woa! L-plate overload!
Mar 2013
8:40pm, 12 Mar 2013
12 posts
  •  
Ymee
It's like a column of those loveheart sweeties, no?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Hi Fetchies,
I'm a newbie on fetch and started running in 2011. I'm a pretendy triathlete. (I've...