Ankle help!

2 watchers
Mar 2013
10:43pm, 9 Mar 2013
4,406 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Hi, I have similar, but less severe problems to you. I'm aiming to work on my ankle flexibility, because it's dreadful, which I think leads to some of the problems I have with turning my ankles.

Proprioception is also important - I do a bit of standing on one leg whilst doing the washing up, brushing teeth or something else. It's even more effective if you do it with your eyes closed.
Mar 2013
8:47am, 10 Mar 2013
6 posts
  •  
Ymee
Multi tasking - good idea! Though I suspect if I tried doing the washing up standing on one leg with my eyes closed, it may end in disaster....
Mar 2013
10:18am, 10 Mar 2013
10 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
I don't imagine I'd come off very well if I tried to brush my teeth on one leg with my eyes shut.

One lost tooth, a minor concussion and bloodstained sink later...
Mar 2013
3:15pm, 11 Mar 2013
238 posts
  •  
Not so lazytoad!
I have a similar problem, firstly to echo what everyone has said ice rest etc etc all very important. I find compression socks help when im running as they seem to stabalise everything a little more than it is normally. I have been doing all the one leg things, one legged squats if you can master them are very effective. However the biggest gain I seem to have maid has been from doing body pump once a week. I dont know if its because the lunges etc are strengthening my ankle or because my legs are generally stronger full stop because of it.
Mar 2013
9:11pm, 11 Mar 2013
14 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Right, Ymee, I tried the proprioception test, in the hot tub on the good ankle Diagnosis: it is crap.

Any miracle cures?

On the bright side, this time it is healing quickly and I am optimistic that I can race on Sunday. Even if I have to drop out of the run, I will at least do the swim to get some practice in competition. My problem swimming is that I don't know how to race: my average speed for the 400m is the same as for a 1500m.
Mar 2013
2:00pm, 12 Mar 2013
7 posts
  •  
Ymee
Sadly, miracles are beyond me! It takes a long time to sort this kind of thing out, and each time you go over on your ankle you risk causing more damage. I'd say definitely see a physio. You could try getting yourself a wobble board.
I hope you're fit enough for your race. I can't help you with the swimming: I only manage one race speed too, except that mine is SLOW!!
Mar 2013
6:08pm, 12 Mar 2013
16 posts
  •  
icelandic trigirl
Ymee, I've already got double your posts. Get on it! (All this spare time from not actually training.)
Mar 2013
8:31pm, 12 Mar 2013
9 posts
  •  
Ymee
Oh dear. I'm going to have to get some courage!! Looks like it needs about a hundred posts before we can lose the L plates too!!
Mar 2013
8:35pm, 12 Mar 2013
7,699 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Woa! L-plate overload!
Mar 2013
8:40pm, 12 Mar 2013
12 posts
  •  
Ymee
It's like a column of those loveheart sweeties, no?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by IT GRANNY 🇮🇸
Hi Fetchies,
I'm a newbie on fetch and started running in 2011. I'm a pretendy triathlete. (I've...

The Doctor K Cup

This year sees the fifth edition of our annual challenge in memory of the Fetchies who have sadly passed away. It's named after Doctor K, who died of pancreatic cancer in 2017

Are you doing the right training?

See typical mileage, pace and long run stats for every distance and goal. See a comparison with your own training.

Heart Rate Analysis

See your heart rate training data from the last 12 months broken down in technicolour.

Flat as a pancake?

We've collected thousands of your reviews from events, and worked out which races give you the best chance of a fast time!

X

Free training & racing tools for runners, cyclists, swimmers & walkers.

Fetcheveryone lets you analyse your training, find races, plot routes, chat in our forum, get advice, play games - and more! Nothing is behind a paywall, and it'll stay that way thanks to our awesome community!
Get Started
Click here to join 109,083 Fetchies!
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here