6 minute marathon PB on no long runs - where is the logic?

31 watchers
Jan 2012
9:31am, 30 Jan 2012
146 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
So I ran Gloucester Marathon last Sunday on no long runs whatsoever, just as an experiment...

Was taking it purely as a training run for VLM where I aim to run sub 3.30

My PB prior to Gloucester was 3.41 yet I ran Gloucester in 3.36 (even though I hadn't run over 11 miles in months)

Just wondering what everyone thinks to this? It seems so illogical!

It has to be said I have a decent base mileage/fitness (45/50 miles per week, no injuries, PB over all distances last year etc)

All I can put it down to is being fresh and rested enough to have the energy going forward...

Really wasn't expecting a 6 minute PB (and 4th SW) and was/still am thrilled :]
Jan 2012
9:35am, 30 Jan 2012
6,020 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Well done, sounds like a great performance. I think it might be due to the fact you ran conservatively and ran equal mile splits. Who knows what you can do when you're tryng hard ?
Jan 2012
9:37am, 30 Jan 2012
46,121 posts
  •  
Gobi
D2D - 50 miles a week as solid running off a number of years marathon training makes it possible. I keep myself in 3hr shape without running over 11 miles and doing 50 miles a week. That said some weeks I would have run 3 x 11 miles.

Not a recommended approach for a novice and has limits but if you used the same approach and ran a marathon each month as a long run you would stay in around the same condition maybe even find a few more minutes.
Jan 2012
9:49am, 30 Jan 2012
490 posts
  •  
Mark J
This is interesting from an "I currently don't have masses of time for long runs at the moment" point of view. I can shoe horn in shorter runs in the evenings but the 16 plus ones are difficult for time reasons. Would need to up my short run distances though to hit 45-50 per week. Worth a look maybe.
Jan 2012
10:13am, 30 Jan 2012
147 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
I just felt so fresh and confident at the start of the race and this is the FIRST MARATHON OF 8 MARATHONS that I have run where I didn't hit the wall!

Usually, I don't just hit the wall - I smash head-first into it and die around 18 miles. This time though, no problem whatsoever. I didn't have any aches/pains the next day and was able to resume a 45 mile week afterwards and didn't even feel exhausted.

I think for me personally, long runs just don't work. I'd usually run 15, 16, 18 miles in training then get to the start line and feel so exhausted or pick up an injury that I wouldn't have the energy to finish the race strong. It all used to just fall apart.

I've got a 15 mile and 20 mile race scheduled in before VLM this year so think I'll just use those as my long runs instead.

I guess it's the old story of what works for one may not work for another though, just wanted to share my experience as I really surprised myself :)
Jan 2012
1:43pm, 30 Jan 2012
12,947 posts
  •  
Pestomum
You could just have been running your LSR's too quickly? A common mistake.
Jan 2012
1:50pm, 30 Jan 2012
167 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
More than likely... I find it hard to run slower than my natural pace (anywhere between 6.5 - 7.2m/m)

I'm not complaining, just a bit perplexed
Jan 2012
2:06pm, 30 Jan 2012
12,948 posts
  •  
Pestomum
It does take discipline for some people, yes :)
Jan 2012
2:23pm, 30 Jan 2012
2,708 posts
  •  
Scottynbn
My 41 minute marathon PB was achieved on 4 weeks training and a very relaxed attitude, sort of like "I`ll take it slow and if I can`t finish it`s ok" as I got a very late entry. Took it very easy and it payed off by being able to do my fastest miles at 25 and 26 to go sub-4. It`s a funny old game :-)
Jan 2012
3:34pm, 30 Jan 2012
170 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
Isn't it just?

I had so much more in the tank too. When I finished, I could have easily carried on and done the Ultra 30 mile.

I'm going to save it now for London and go sub 3.30 :]

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
So I ran Gloucester Marathon last Sunday on no long runs whatsoever, just as an experiment...

Was...