5k to 10k advice please

5 watchers
Jul 2016
6:58am, 19 Jul 2016
First-time poster!!
  •  
ElaineJ
Morning

I'm a newbie to running - just completed C25k and have now started 5k to 10k plan. I'm a real plodder, with my current best pace at 14:31.

My next session is introducing a 3 minute tempo run. Firstly, what is a tempo run? I'm guessing it's where I need to alternate my speed? If that's the case, what sort of pace, should I ideally be looking at running, during this part of the session?

Many thanks in advance

Elaine
Jul 2016
7:06am, 19 Jul 2016
1,028 posts
  •  
Silvershadow
Hi Elaine, welcome to Fetch.
A tempo run is one that is a bit faster than your usual pace but that you can keep going for the interval time or distance without fading. Personally I wouldn't worry about the speed, run by feel.
Jul 2016
7:09am, 19 Jul 2016
21,278 posts
  •  
HellsBells
What SilverShadow said.
A lot of adaptation goes on when you first start running or increasing distance, don't worry about tempo runs, fartleks, intervals or any other sort of speed work yet. What matters now is time on your feet and staying uninjured. Once you're comfortable running 10k at a pace that is conversational, then you might think about introducing speed
Jul 2016
7:55am, 19 Jul 2016
6,643 posts
  •  
lammo
Hi welcome to Fetch

What they said, just keep getting out there, you'll be amazed at the progress consistent training brings.

Don't risk injury with speed work just yet.
Jul 2016
8:09am, 19 Jul 2016
962 posts
  •  
westmoors
Hi Elaine and welcome to Fetch.

A tempo run should be "comfortably hard". The purpose of the run is to improve your "lactate threshold" i.e. the effort level at which your body can no longer eliminate the lactate at the rate it is produced. It is not all out, but a pace that you should be able to sustain for about an hour.

But I wouldn't worry about exact pace, I prefer to use the talk test: on an easy run you should be able to hold a conversation; for a tempo run you should be able to speak a single sentence.

Enjoy your training and good luck.
Jul 2016
9:07am, 19 Jul 2016
2 posts
  •  
ElaineJ
Thanks everyone for the advice - it's a bit confusing at the moment
Jul 2016
9:25am, 19 Jul 2016
34,138 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Unfortunately, "just run" doesn't sell training schedules so there's a lot of confusing advice out there, but unless you've established that your talent is for sprinting rather than longer distances there's no rush to do speedwork. It's worth giving your muscles and tendons the opportunity to adapt to doing this silly sport first, and depending on your age and exercise history that process can take anything from several months to several years.

Most importantly, enjoy the running you do :)
Jul 2016
9:44am, 19 Jul 2016
3 posts
  •  
ElaineJ
I've entered a 10k event at the end of September and I think I'm feeling a little under confident, that I'm going to make a fool of myself, by taking a long time to finish the race. I just want to be training in the best way possible
Jul 2016
9:55am, 19 Jul 2016
34,140 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Which event are you doing, Elaine? Most 10km events will have finishers whose average speed is no faster than your current best pace. The most foolish thing you could do is get injured beforehand and waste your entry fee ;)
Jul 2016
10:12am, 19 Jul 2016
4 posts
  •  
ElaineJ
I'm doing the Southport 10k

About This Thread

Maintained by
Morning

I'm a newbie to running - just completed C25k and have now started 5k to 10k plan. I'm...