Slower in Short Races

1 watcher
Nov 2013
11:45am, 11 Nov 2013
732 posts
  •  
IanRunner
In September I got a pb of of 1:19:53, which I was really pleased with.

Only 2 months later, I have struggled to a 38:02 10k pb and a 17:54 5k pb.

Any ideas of where I am going wrong? While concentrating on the 5 and 10k all I have really changed is adding hill sprints and doing more short quick sessions, like 12 x 60 secs with 60 secs recovery etc. my other session is normally 4 x 5 mins.

I would be grateful of anyone's opinions?
Nov 2013
12:32pm, 11 Nov 2013
297 posts
  •  
Johnny Panic
The HM and 5k broadly correlate (on a ham fisted "double it and add a minute" to go from 5 to 10, then "double it and add 5 minutes" from 10k to HM) so on the face of it only your 10k is a bit slow - although not disastrous.

It could be anything - windy, just a bad day, didn't sleep much two nights before, weren't prepared to bleed through your eyeballs for whatever reason. Sessions seem reasonable to me although you could maybe mix up the longer reps (5 x 4 minutes, 6 x 3, all of that).

Or just enter the Leeds Abbey Dash and run a 36 without knowing why!
Nov 2013
2:27pm, 11 Nov 2013
733 posts
  •  
IanRunner
Cheers Johnny. It certainly felt like an off day but then most of my 10k's seem to feel like that.

It might be a case of concentrating on that distance and getting a plan for a peak race.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by IanRunner
In September I got a pb of of 1:19:53, which I was really pleased with.

Only 2 months later, I ha...