BETTER WITHOUT ADS? Become a voluntary supporter
Slower in Short Races
11:45am, 11 Nov 2013
IanRunnerIn September I got a pb of of 1:19:53, which I was really pleased with.
Only 2 months later, I have struggled to a 38:02 10k pb and a 17:54 5k pb.
Any ideas of where I am going wrong? While concentrating on the 5 and 10k all I have really changed is adding hill sprints and doing more short quick sessions, like 12 x 60 secs with 60 secs recovery etc. my other session is normally 4 x 5 mins.
I would be grateful of anyone's opinions?
12:32pm, 11 Nov 2013
Johnny PanicThe HM and 5k broadly correlate (on a ham fisted "double it and add a minute" to go from 5 to 10, then "double it and add 5 minutes" from 10k to HM) so on the face of it only your 10k is a bit slow - although not disastrous.
It could be anything - windy, just a bad day, didn't sleep much two nights before, weren't prepared to bleed through your eyeballs for whatever reason. Sessions seem reasonable to me although you could maybe mix up the longer reps (5 x 4 minutes, 6 x 3, all of that).
Or just enter the Leeds Abbey Dash and run a 36 without knowing why!
2:27pm, 11 Nov 2013
IanRunnerCheers Johnny. It certainly felt like an off day but then most of my 10k's seem to feel like that.
It might be a case of concentrating on that distance and getting a plan for a peak race.
About This Thread
Maintained by IanRunner
- Hitting 5k, 10k & HM pace in training
- Newbie training query – 5k / 10k improvement training
- 5k/10k training schedule?
- 5k to 10k advice please
- Arbitrary numbers: 5k, 10K, 13.1m, 26.2m, 50m, 100K, 100M etc...
- MILTON KEYNES FESTIVAL OF RUNNING
- Norton Community Games 10k/5k - 13 July near Worcester
- RUN FOR HER LIFE 10K, 5K OR 1K ON MAY 4TH
- Ratho Gala 10K and 5K Wed 29 May
- Preston Guild 2012 Race Series - 5k, 10k, 10M & Half/Full Marathon