5k to 10k advice please

5 watchers
Jul 2016
10:19am, 19 Jul 2016
963 posts
  •  
westmoors
Elaine, no-one will think you're a fool for completing a 10K. You will still be beating those that CBA to get out there! If you're really worried about being slow, look up the previous results - you will probably be pleasantly surprised that not everyone that enters a race is super speedy!
Jul 2016
10:22am, 19 Jul 2016
34,142 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Even at your current pace you'll be comfortably clear of last place, going by previous results (not, of course, that there's anything wrong with being last, I've brought up the tail of a few races in my time) and with consistent training and with that little boost that comes from pinning a number on your vest you'll be faster than that :)
Jul 2016
10:35am, 19 Jul 2016
2,609 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
Elaine - what Vrap said, simply running more will make you much better at running. I had a look at your log, you are doing the right thing. Up the frequency (without becoming a 7 day a week runner within a week!) and the distance (without becoming a marathon runner in the 1st month!). Don't worry about pace, just go out and enjoy it.

Plans like this don't sell copies of Runner's World but to begin with it's actually very simple!!

Enjoy it. Good luck. Stick around.
Jul 2016
10:47am, 19 Jul 2016
5 posts
  •  
ElaineJ
Thanks for the advice guys - I was getting really confused, as I was covering 45 minutes by the end of my 5k training plan. I started the 10k training this morning and it's telling me to do 20 minutes. It felt like I was going backwards and not adding to my miles. I think I'll ditch the 10k plan and just continue to do what I was doing during the 5k, which was adding time/distance each session.
Jul 2016
10:48am, 19 Jul 2016
6 posts
  •  
ElaineJ
Thanks for the advice guys - I was getting really confused, as I was covering 45 minutes by the end of my 5k training plan. I started the 10k training this morning and it's telling me to do 20 minutes. It felt like I was going backwards and not adding to my miles. I think I'll ditch the 10k plan and just continue to do what I was doing during the 5k, which was adding time/distance each session.
Jul 2016
10:57am, 19 Jul 2016
964 posts
  •  
westmoors
I've never liked plans based on time. For slower runners they don't give the confidence of being able to complete the goal distance, and for faster runners they can mean a lot of training over distance. If you want to find a plan, look for a distance based one.
Jul 2016
10:58am, 19 Jul 2016
34,144 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Some days a 20-minute run may be a perfectly reasonable thing to do, but only in the context of an overall gradual increase in your total weekly mileage and the length of your longest run :)
Jul 2016
11:01am, 19 Jul 2016
575 posts
  •  
Stewie
Youre doing absolutely brilliantly E, you'll get a lot of support and info without any judging on here so stick with it :)
Jul 2016
11:04am, 19 Jul 2016
11,943 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Running faster is fun but don't overdo it. Like everyone else says, just doing a bit more running is what you need just now. But not every run (in fact not even most runs) needs to be a longer run.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Morning

I'm a newbie to running - just completed C25k and have now started 5k to 10k plan. I'm...