40 minute 10K

27 watchers
Feb 2012
12:54pm, 16 Feb 2012
346 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
The way I see it, through the sheer volume of running - at a consistent pace for years - I've been able to get some decent times and come pretty high up in races. I'm faster than a lot of my local club runners who supposedly 'train properly'.

But now that I'm introducing intervals and mixing it up a bit, I can only get faster.

I know logically if I switched my schedule to something regimented and conventional, that would be the best way to get my times down but there's no enjoyment in that for me. It's not free-spirited enough.
Feb 2012
12:56pm, 16 Feb 2012
11,565 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Good, thats sorted then.

Can we get back to the people who actually want advice?
Feb 2012
12:58pm, 16 Feb 2012
46,479 posts
  •  
Puddington
lol
Feb 2012
12:58pm, 16 Feb 2012
12,291 posts
  •  
Fenland Runner
*bites tongue*
Feb 2012
1:04pm, 16 Feb 2012
69 posts
  •  
UltraPaulo
D2D - Now I am curious. You say you want to be free spirited but run the same 6.2 mile route every day or if the weather is a little bit iffy you run on a treadmill?! That is more regimented than any training I know of!

Best of luck with what you aim to do... coming near the front of your group at a local 5k is a bit different to running a good marathon time.
Feb 2012
1:06pm, 16 Feb 2012
1,820 posts
  •  
Loca
D2D,through sheer volume of running at a constant pace you only managed to take 1min off you HM PB from 2010 to 2011 - hardly a decent improvement IMO.

You have adapted over time to the pace & miles you constantly run and so that is why you are probably not inured. If you introduce intervals and want to do them properly to get faster like you want, without getting injured then I honestly suggest that you slow down some of your other runs so that you can give it your all during the interval session and so that your body can adapt to the additional training stress.

You don't get fitter whilst you are doing a hard training session, you get fitter in the days after a hard session when the physiologicl adaptations take place in your body. Running hard again, before those adaptations take place would mean the interval session was a complete waste of effort. So you need to run easy after a hard session to get the benefits of the hard session. The 'hard, easy' training principle that most competitive runners follow isn't just because they are all 'sheep', it is because there is a biological reason for it.
SPR
Feb 2012
1:08pm, 16 Feb 2012
15,977 posts
  •  
SPR
espn.go.com

This may interest a few people on here.
Feb 2012
1:16pm, 16 Feb 2012
1,821 posts
  •  
Loca
Interesting read SPR. Lots of slow miles for a big base, Hills and strides for strength and raw speed. Hills are a form of interval training anyway - just carries less injury risk than flat intervals. Lots of racing - which is then like doing quite a few hard workouts, no?
Feb 2012
1:16pm, 16 Feb 2012
300 posts
  •  
Brian G
JohnnyO - brilliant - that did really make me lol.

D2D - I'm glad you're finally acknowledging that the best way to go for you would be via the conventional method ( or as I'd say the 'proven method' ). I think what frustrates me most is that you will improve doing things the way you are up to a point, but you will not achieve your potential doing this - but its your choice. You are already doing all your runs way too fast and all your doing is adding in even faster paced runs - this isn't 'free-spirited....it's stubborn and blinkered.

I really don't think you know what you want to do - I saw you at Brackley F1 10K last year (where you beat me) and you were trying so hard you collapsed at the end for several minutes and needed attention - so I'm guessing you were trying pretty hard at that race. You want to 'be free spirited' and do what you want in training but you also clearly from your posts want PBs and trophies - which is it to be?????????????
Feb 2012
1:20pm, 16 Feb 2012
347 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
'coming near the front of your group at a local 5k is a bit different to running a good marathon time.'

That's hardly fair.

3rd SW at a 10k last June
1st SW at a 10k last October
1st woman overall at a hilly 10 miler New Year's Eve
7th woman overall at Gloucester Marathon

I'm not sure about you lot, but I don't think that's bad for a 25 year old with so many years of PBs ahead who has only been racing seriously for a year.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
My current 10k PB is 42.54 (6.55m/m)
5k PB is 20.44 (6.41m/m)

Yet my 10 mile PB on a very hilly ...