Hi ,
It looks like you're using an ad blocker. I understand. No-one likes ads.

But our site costs money to operate, and I need to eat.

Please consider enabling ads for our website, or making a voluntary donation. If you donate, I can turn off the ads for you for a period of time. Average donations are about £3.50 per month, so a tenner would give you three months ad free.

Here's a link to our donation info.

Thanks,
Ian Williams aka Fetch

Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Elderly parents or relatives to care for and/or worry about? This is the place for you.

85 watchers
16 Aug
1:31pm, 16 Aug 2019
27552 posts
LazyDaisy
Ah, that clarifies their decision to me, thanks Mike. Is she able to understand that she might have to move if she doesn't use the mobility aids?
16 Aug
2:31pm, 16 Aug 2019
35355 posts
Lip Gloss
Hope it goes well Mandy.
Aw Mike that's a shame but hopefully a solution can be found.

Sister is making yet another trip down south this weekend and has a meeting set up with the social worker and another from AgeUk ( the boss of the woman who has his case )
He pressed his alarm again this week and RR phoned my sister to get a neighbour I to check but she missed it so they ended up going in to find him collapsed on the bathroom floor. Surely by paying for this alarm we shouldn't be expected to get a neighbour to be the one who responds to the alarm - she might find anything when she gets in :-(
16 Aug
2:39pm, 16 Aug 2019
2216 posts
TomahawkMike
Lazydaisy, At this point she isn't able to understand much. Totally different to Tuesday when she was lucid and on good form. Since then not in good shape and finding difficulty in understanding who we are and what is going on. We will try and convey that to her if she turns the right corner
16 Aug
3:45pm, 16 Aug 2019
27553 posts
LazyDaisy
Oh dear Tomahawk, that sounds so worrying for you all :-(

LG a friend has a similar problem with her mother's alarm - the service phones her, and if she's away (as she was recently on a cruise) they expect a neighbour to visit. I think their responsibility is just to alert 'someone' in the event of a fall - which, given where your dad lives, and you live, 500 miles apart, is not necessarily a great deal of help :-(

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

I thought I'd start a thread, as lots of us have elderly folks that we worry about/care for.

Useful info for after someone dies here (with thanks to grast_girl)
moneysavingexpert.com

Other useful links

myageingparent.com

moneysavingexpert.com

Who pays for residential care? Information here:

ageuk.org.uk

Also: After someone dies, if their home insurance was only in their name, sadly the cover becomes void. But if the policy was in joint names, it will still cover the surviving policyholder (though the names on the policy will need to be updated).

A useful book of exercises for memory loss and dementia
amazon.co.uk

Close