Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Round Norfolk Relay

Listed by Applecross
Kings Lynn, Kings Lynn Norfolk PE30 UK
15 Entrants Club PB SB Pred Time WAVA
Applecross Unaffiliated 2:10:00 2:20:37
Blotts Mate West Suffolk Triathlon Club 52:49
Chrisity Beeston AC 1:14:37 1:10:17
Cliffy tc Unaffiliated 46:24 46:24 40:00 46:24
Debbie G Stowmarket Striders RC 2:25:00 2:25:25
Gobi Unaffiliated 2:32:41
hammerite Bedford Harriers AC 1:44:59
Highlanderchick Lakeshore Runners 2:25:00 2:06:22
KatieB Bedford Harriers AC 1:34:18
McGoohan FERC, LDWA 1:11:46
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs) Kettering Town Harriers
oldbiddynandi Unaffiliated 2:21:00 2:21:00 1:50:00 2:21:00
Pericles Reepham Runners 2:18:33
Slow Going UKnetrunner 1:50:00 2:18:07
Two Towels. Long Eaton Running Club 1:47:48 1:59:17

This event is listed on these dates:

Stage 14 Feltwell - Wissington (sugar factory!) *** Update ***

Me, 360 & Hamerite set off from Lynnsport way too early considering the team was about an hour behind schedule, but this was a good thing because after hanging around for a while, we could at last get involved. On the way, we checked out the scary wood which would form part of 360's section. Rather him than me, I thought. It was a wall of blackness. Looked like the Blair Witch Project.

Then we checked out TMW's progress. We drove alongside. He looked almost as scary as the forest: his face was completely set. He was 'in the zone'. After we'd watched the handover from TMW to 360, Hamerite and I drove off to RAF Feltwell.

I felt more nervous now than I think I've ever felt about anything else, ever. It was pitch black down the parking area at the base, then suddenly you'd be dazzled by car lights swinging round as more Stage 14 runners were delivered. So, I began my race preparations which mainly involved trying to find some place to wee in privacy without being picked out in someone's headlights like a startled bunny. I'd lost count of the number of bottles of Gatorade I'd had at Lynnsport, but they were having their effect now.

On the horizon, there was a line of orange lights as support cars approached from the scary forest. We moved the car to the main road and Hamerite phoned the support car. 360 was going well and expected soon. I went to begin a proper warm up, but mainly went to the loo again. The race director saw me and came over to shake my hand. 'You Fetch guys are amazing,' he said. I felt boosted by this but a little bit of a fraud. I hadn't done anything yet and the folks who'd done all the hard work had already either run or were driving the support car. I went to stand at the handover point. A runner was coming up the hill, but their support car's lights were dazzling me. It wasn't 360. It was a woman! In the night stages, all runners were wearing fluorescent yellow bibs and they all seemed to have red tops on, so it looked like everybody was a Fetch runner! Three more went by. I tried to get the baton from one. 'No!' he said, firmly.

My legs felt like lead and I could feel twinges like mini-injuries. My left ankle, my right shin, both knees, my hip. I tried a little jog and my shins complained as if I'd run my section already. Thirteen runners had already done their bit and I was paranoid I was going to cock it up for everybody.

'I think this is it,' Hamerite said. 'Is that 360?'

'Yes', 360 called.

I needed the toilet again, but there was no time for that now. 360 was here and handing me the baton. I fluffed it a bit and juggled it into my right hand. Somehow it was greasy and sticky and slippery all at the same time, the baton, not my hand, though it soon got that way.) I was off and running.

The support car came alongside and there was Slow & Hobbes (Mrs Slow), both still smiling despite being up for at least 24 hours already and having driven around the whole of Norfolk at between 5 and 8mph for God-knows how long. Bizarrely, as I'd arrived late to Lynnsport, this was the first time I'd met either of them.

'Is this my turning?' I said, panicking. I was ultra-worried I'd miss a turning and lose the team more time. It clearly wasn't, as it led into a cul-de-sac in Feltwell village.

'Not yet,' Slow said.

In fact, all I had to do was follow the line of orange lights head. Through Feltwell village, I saw a runner ahead who seemed to be going slower than me. Sure enough, I overtook. This gave me my second boost. I looked at my Garmin and saw I was doing 6:50 per mile. Much, much too quick for me. I forced myself to slow down before I blew up without even getting out of the village. A different runner overtook me. I felt a bit let down by this but tried to tell myself it was pointless to get upset. She was going much, much faster than me.

We were out of Feltwell now and in open countryside. It was starting to get light but a bit misty over the fields so you couldn't see very far. The road, and the orange lights went straight ahead for the next 4.5 miles. Despite being out of the village, everything I passed said 'Feltwell Farm' or 'Feltwell Business park' so it didn't seem like I was making any progress. My Garmin said I had slipped to 8:30 per mile. I got water from Hobbes and tried to speed up a bit. I was overtaken twice more in quick succession. The Garmin sat on 8:30 per mile and I didn't seem able to make it speed up.

Some dogs barked at me from a nearby farm. I 'shot' them with the baton. I took some more water in, sipping away all the time. My Garmin slipped to 9:30. Were the wheels coming off? A very fast runner overtook me. Slow offered words of encouragement from the support car about how that runner was from a team who'd set off ages after us in Lynn and were doing 6.5 min miles. I knew he was right but I was still feeling gutted. I gritted my teeth and pressed on and got the Garmin to 8 min miles again. Where was the end of this bliddy road? Where was the sugar factory at Wissington (the handover point)?

Suddenly ahead, a cyclist appeared. It was Hamerite. As we were now in daylight we'd been instructed to have a support bike rather than support car. He pulled alongside and Slow and Hobbes drove off ahead. 'You haven't far to go now,' Hamerite said.

I could see the sugar factory! It looked really close. I looked at the time on my Garmin and realised I was actually quite a bit ahead of schedule.

We turned the corner. I was off that road! But on another one that stretched ahead in a straight line for another two miles. 'I think you're gaining on that one ahead,' Hamerite said. Was he right? Yes. I was actually gaining on someone. I felt really boosted now and though I felt tired I also felt pretty good. My pace increased just a bit and I was dipping under 8 min miling again.

Another corner was turned and weirdly we were heading East again, away from the sugar factory! 'You're definitely gaining on that one,' Hamerite said. 'And ignore the one coming up behind!' Yes, I was overtaken again, but never mind that, I WAS gaining on this other one in front. We turned the final corner and the sugar factory seemed really big now, really close. My pace increased again, not suddenly but bit by bit with each step. I overtook my target runner and reached the 500m to go sign.

'Oh no, a hill!' I said. It was actually just a slight rise: a bridge over a river.

'You can do a spurt now if you feel like it,' Hamerite said.

'I haven't got any spurts left!' I said. But once I got to the top of the bridge, I could see the handover point at the bottom. I was doing my best impersonation of a sprint now, and I could see Vomit moving into place ready to take the baton.

There! I'd handed it on and passed on the responsibility. 360, Slow, Hobbes, TMW, Gobi and KatieB were there, waiting. I'd done it in 1:11:46, eight or so minutes inside my estimate. I was well chuffed.

'Feel free to collapse on the verge,' Gobi said. So I did.

'Do you want this?' 360 said, offering me my water bottle.

'Yes,' I said. He squirted me in the face with it.

I felt great. It was really good to be finished with my bit, but just as good to be part of this huge thing that was still going on.
Leg 1, 16.32 miles
Up at 4.15 am partly from nerves and partly to try and kid myself into thinking that 7 am is a reasonable time to start a race. Didn't follow faithful pre-race routine of pasta, porridge and yoga due to the limitations of being in a tent and not having a camping stove; instead had a banana, some 'Seriously Oaty' goo made up with cold water (yum), a cold fennel tea (more yum) and a bagel. Quick warm up along cycle path and back about 6.30. Set off at 7 with Georgia's Dad, followed by Cliffy on the bike. Pace was quite nice on road section - felt not my usual race fastest but having someone to run with (specifically someone with a Garmin) stretched me a bit more than I probably would've on my own, and kept to a good 8 min/mile pace for the first 5 miles or so of road/trail. Lost it a bit on the following shingle and back of sand dunes section, where the ground was very hard work and uneven; By about 11-12 miles I was really slowing and the last mile or so of offroad stuff was absolute hell to keep going through, especially as I'd lost sight of other runners and bike support had ended when we hit the shingle. On reaching the prom, felt relieve to be on relatively even ground, but had a bit of a headwind and thighs were tired, so concrete underfoot began to jar a bit. Run up the cliffs was okay - nice to stretch different muscles maybe? - but section on grass to lighthouse seemed to take forever, and for the second day running, was absolutely ecstatic to see Slow Going to take charge of the next leg. Overall, a bit disappointed with time - 10 mins slower than prediction, however, it was the furthest I'd ever run, and had seriously underestimated the terrain, so I guess there are some lessons to be learnt there. Outside from the running, this was a fantastic experience, and as I'll no doubt say elsewhere, big thanks for Slow Going and Hobbes and all the other fantastic fetchies for making it happen
Slow Going
How did I not have this in my portfolio (blush) - stage 2 for me (YEY) then a further 23 hours awake driving round Norfolk (double yey)

UPDATE(Focussing on details of stage 2 for future runners):

This is 14 miles with 11 off road. No hills but lots of crinkly bits through dunes (mainly on boardwalk). Route finding on race day is simple due to the incredible work of the course markers (although much harder if you go and recce when the arrows aren't there). Terrain is a mixture of soft sand (not more than about 400m in total on the stage), mud/dirt footpaths, unmettled roads, boardwalk, railway sleepers and road. I found it surprisingly hard on the feet, which were aching at the end. The main problems are the wind - the route is completely exposed - and the isolation (no support bike/car, unlikely to be many other runners this early in the event).

It's difficult to evaluate the relative difficulty of the run. I found it hugely hard work, getting very very hot, then getting completely knackered. Lack of proper sleep and food for the previous day or so, plus the stress of team organisation were probably the reason. I may also have got a bit dehydrated and should have removed my fetch shirt (which was completely soaked in sweat within a couple of miles). I also went off like my shorts were on fire with the excitement of it all, without properly warming up.

Don't try and run this at your Half-Marathon pace, try 20 mile pace and speed up after half way if you're feeling good. Also remember, just because someone sticks a baton in your hand you don't need to run at 100m or 400m pace LOL
Stage 9., RNR. This year stage 9 started at Horsey Mill at sunset...the most beautiful start to a race I have ever experienced. I had driven to the stage start with Mudskipper having seen Mrb head off on his stage and left an ever so slightly tired Lums recovering. Not quite knowing when your start is, is very strange, I really didn't know how fast Rubble would run, and hadn't really taken note of his exact start time. Mudskipper was a very calm and sweet companion, who gently told me that "you'll only regret it when you get a 100 yards down the road¨ when I was talking myself into not going for yet another wee. When Mrb appeared I got myself ready next to change over to get the baton, and with only a quick "well done¨ to him, I was off. I knew that behind me the guys were getting the bike onto the car and were going to catch me up. Even knowing that a car is going to drive behind you doesn't really prepare you for the feeling it gives when it rolls up. It was like being wrapped in a big, soft blanket and having my forehead gently stroked. I was running along a road, no other runners in sight, darkness falling and a low lying mist swirling around me, and yet I was completely safe and looked after. It was all very surreal and that feeling was only heightened when the Rubble-in-laws drove past not once but 3 times. The first part of the route was very gently undulating countryside, through few small villages, a real life broad Norfolk gent quietly encouraged me "Go on my dear¨ in one of them and after a couple of miles I stopped to tie my shoe lace.some positive words from Gobi helped me to get back on my way again. Pace was comfortably hard, and I felt I could have gone a bit faster, but I tried to stick with my planned pace of 8.20mm. Just after mile 3 a lady runner stormed past with her bike support (who told me "well done¨ as he passed). I managed to catch up to and pass a male runner at 5.5 miles which gave me a boost and also the incentive to stay ahead of him. My car companions shouted directions whenever they were needed and Gobi offered drinks and kindly told me they were looking at my bottom. It all made me smile. Almost stopped at a red traffic light in Caister , before I realized I really didn't need to, I think that came with feeling so connected to the support car or maybe it was the usual brain freeze that accompanies racing. Before I knew it we were at the A149 and heading past the sign announcing Great Yarmouth, at this point the British Airways team flew past(cheats :-)) and I realized the end was close. Getting towards the final mile, and the bridge took the last energy right out of my legs, I had just overtaken a lady runner and again the thought of her catching me spurred me on. Turning right onto the sea front of great Yarmouth felt good because I knew that was my last turn and I was on the last bit. Slow shouted that it was under a mile to go, although Gobi added "we've been wrong before¨, I know the sea was to my right but it was too dark to see it and I finally got that leaden feeling in my legs, as the road seemed to be all uphill and I couldn't see where the end was. The 500m to go sign boosted me, but my legs only managed a few strides at faster pace before I realized the sign must be lying, still couldn't see the finish. Pushed on and finally the familiar traffic cones and crowds of expectant runners and supporters loomed out of the dark. Handed the baton to Mudsipper and moved out of the way towards a familiar Rubbly person. Nanna Rubble gave me a big hug as did Grandad Rubble. And then it was done...pretty much bang on time.

The best experience of my life in running so far. Thankyou a thousand times to Slow and Gobi. They made it perfect, kept me safe and I'm very grateful. Thanks also to Hobbes who was so very sweet for a very long time(27+ hours) and who made me feel very special at the end of my stage.
Fun lots of fun in a team way.
stayed up for 27 hours, rode a bike for a few miles, put one foot in front of the other for 11.7 miles, sprinted the last .03, then felt very sick.

But extremely happy, proud, I can go on.........
Cliffy tc
Where do I pitch my tent?

Gently warming up waiting for Slow to turn up when a blur comes flying around the corner (I need to wear my glasses more often), get into postion ready for the off.

Slow hands me the sweaty sticky baton and I'm going. Playing dodge the walker/tourist/dog/wildlife photographer for the first mile and almost came a cropper when a jack russell decided to position itself where my foot was going to land! Managed not to squash the mangy mutt or fall over. 7.40 for the first mile - going well.

Then I hit the dunes, this really took it out of me and dropped to a 9.14 mile. Looking for tracks in the sand to make sure I'm going the right way must have added time as well, felt like an Aborigine.

Back on the gravel path and still feel heavy legged after the dunes but nearly at half way point (Great these short stages), just a case of digging in and keeping a steady pace. Managed to keep the next 3 under 9 mins - 8.27 8.39 8.36.

A great finish to this stage, leave the woods into the car park and can see and hear the Fetch team on the sea front, a quick burst of speed up the sea wall and a slick handover to TT.

Total time 46.25, beaten by LovelyLegs by 1 second!

A great experience and one which I would like to repeat next year.
Blotts Mate
Wasn't sure how this would go, running at 6 30am having had no sleep for 24hrs & been driving for 4 1/2 hrs till 4am supporting the runners on stages 11 & 12. Particularly as I am not a morning person. Flagged a bit halfway but held it together & happy enough with time for 7.2miles
Debbie G
What a wonderful event !

I was lucky enough to run leg 10 from Great Yarmouth seafront and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience.

It was the furthest I had ever run (I'd only ever attempted 14 miles before) - I took it slow & steady and no problems during the event but a sore ankle & knee ever since !
Running stage 11 (19.6 miles) for the Reepham Runners. ... Really pleased with the run: rock steady 7:04 miling :) .
i have leg 5, which has the steepest hills and a trig point - and about 6 miles of seaview. still it will be a p.b. as i've never run a measured 8.61 miles before!

i've predicted a slow time so that i can stop to stretch the achilles and give them a bit of friction massage if necessary. it might also be helpful since i haven't run this far for 2 months and not at all for 3 weeks before today.

i like a challenge.

UPDATE AFTER THE EVENT well that was the situation before hand. on the day i arrived in good time for a gentle warm up, jogging the first 600 yards of the course to see what the terrain was like, as it had been under 3 feet of water the previous week. there were avoidable puddles, bits of mud, stretches of shingle and a very surprised lady runner taking a pee behind a bush. back to the start to await two towels and have a cheery chat with slow going, lumsdoni, john c and hobbes. we saw TT from over a mile away, if nothing else the fetch vests are visible, and he made a brave finish up the lane into a stiff sea breeze with Gobi breathing fire and brimstone on the bike behind him.
i set off a little quickly, winding my way around the puddles, doing about 7 min miles on the grass and 10 min miles on the shingle - does that count as intervals?
the first two miles are fairly flat, although the 50 yard stretches of shingle are fairly sapping and there are a couple of 30 foot climbs. At Weybourne i had a cheering shout from Gobi and i think Slow Going, although i was more concentrating on the horrible shingle and route finding. A sharp 60' climb led to a nice stretch of 2miles of mainly grassy track with half a dozen little testers of maybe 20 to 30 foot mounds, before a steeper climb up to the costguard lookout point. i was pleased that i had maintained a good pace, maybe about 7.30's. i wasn't sure because i realised that i hadn't started my watch in the takeover with worrying about getting the baton and putting the details of my leg inside it (as opposed to my inside leg i suppose) so that i didn't get lost. So with 4 miles gone and starting to breath heavily, i followed the pleasant downhill section into Sherringham and dropped down onto the promenade.
The signposting was good, and i played an exciting game of avoid the dog leads as i weaved between the strollers on the prom prom prom who totally ignored me.I knew that at about 5 miles i had to take some stairs up to my right, and after a short excursion up to someone's front door i found the right ones. Everything up to this point was going according to plan, the achilles were fairly quiet, the knees ok, and apart from breathing like a bulldog on heat i had gained a few minutes on my predicted time by pushing myself hard.
With a clear conscience i proceeded to walk up the stairs, reckoning that i would lose little time compared to running up them and allow my heart rate to get back under 200. Pleased with my plan i decided to then walk up the nasty steep path that followed the steps for another 50 yards, before turning sharp left. Unfortunately the next part of the path was not so steep, so i returned to running at a rather reduced rate until mercifully reaching some rather awkward earth and plank steps that thankfully looked of sufficient steepness as to be taken at a more sedate pace, or walking as it is known.
To look good i raised a shuffle towards the top, passing the trig point that is about 180 feet above the promenade.
I didn't feel totally knackered, but the legs were tiring, the chest pains were indicating oxygen debt and i knew that my lack of running in the previous 2 months was catching up with me. Still i knew that i only had 3 and a bit miles to go.
A steepish grassy descent is followed by a stretch slightly uphill through 2 caravan parks, along the cliff edge, before a well marked arrow leads to a footpath and a zig zag onto the road. I could see bikes and cars waiting there,and i was getting to the seriously hot, sweaty and knackered state. there had been a pleasant sea breeze and intermittant sun, and my decision not to carry water because of the baton was being slightly regretted. however Gobi and Slow were going to be there with some cool clear water, and all my energies were focussed on getting there. As i got to the road i couldn't see Gobi, but he was there behind another team's camper van and support vehicle. i suppose i was not expected yet as he wasn't ready, but i didn't mind that . Have you got some water i croaked. No he replied, but i've some isotonicsugarryhypersuperenergygiver or something similar. I need some water i probably shouted rudely at him, and spying hobbes and slow i repeated the request. we've got some in the car they said and i stopped for a couple of seconds whilst they got it.Pouring it over my head and swollowing a couple of mouthfuls, i then set off for the mile and threequarters up the road with Gobi in hot pursuit, carrying the waterbottle that i had dropped.
The road climbs gentlyl uphill, not too much but i was in "tunnel vision get there" mode, and although the speed wasn't great i knew that i couldn't go any faster. We passed a caravan park and East Runton. how far i asked Gobi? no idea he replied, but it's less than 2 miles. Fortunately i reckoned correctly that it was nearer one, and pushed myself harder.

How are you feeling? asked Gobi.
F*cking awful i replied
Good answer said the soul collector.
I knew the turnoff was just before the Cromer sign, and finally spied it. Next to the 500 metres to go sign.
Turning into the field i couldn't see the finish, but a collection of cars and caravans diagonally across the field looked promising. i sought advice
where's the f**king finish i enquired politely.

in the corner replied Gobi.
there was no path , and the uneven grass went uphill as i swore at everything nearby, making my way towards a dirt road, which i then noticed led to a locked gate. b*llocs shouted someone who looked a little like the man who started the stage but was somewhat redder and sweatier.
as i approached the corner i saw a path on a raised bank, climbed the mountainous 3 feet onto it, turned right to run into an old couple meandering along the narrow top. excuse me i yelled but before they even reacted i had dropped down off the bank , passed them and climbed back up again. through a fence where i spied a runner warming up.
where's the finish i asked
oh, about 300 yards he replied.
i am now breathing that a horror film slasher and slalom between cars and caravans, turning a corner to see that the finish is only 50 yards away, and there is a rather surprised prop forward waiting. i'm raspping like a horror film bulldog slasher on heat as i pass the baton on and drop on all fours, doing a remarkable impression of the dog. Fortunately nobody mounts me, and i eventually recover enough to accept the very kind and welcome congratulations of the wonderful Slow Going and Hobbes team, Two Towels and Lumsdoni.
Although i had nearly gone wrong a couple of times, the direction arrows were good and i hadn't needed my instructions which were now speeding away with Prop Forward, inside the baton he carried. It is just as well because they travelled to the finish some 140 miles later,accompanied by someones toilet paper, and when i tried to get them out at the end it proved to be impossible.
I was extremely pleased with my run, and i couldn't have done any better. The time of 1.10.17 or 8.09 min miles was all i could have hoped for, as the testing course was at least 10% harder than road running. some vet managed to do it in 50.25 which absolutely amazes me, until i learned that he holds the records for several legs of the relay. i was 23rd of the 45 runners on the leg, with an age related grade of 61.7%, which was the third highest for the Fetch team.
I have been roped in to this one at the last minute to run leg 13 from Thetford to Feltwell (distance 13.98 miles) in the wee small hours of Sunday morning. Part of this leg goes through the woods, gulp! I am so glad we have an escort vehicle and cyclist with us. Think I will have to wear my head torch to see where I am going.
Oh my god my body didn't know what was happening. I tried to get some sleep before travelling to the start of my stage, but to no avail. I think I may have sneaked 1 hr. I left my home at 0040 hrs to travel to Thetford for the start of my stage, arrived at 0230 hrs and got ready with all the hi viz kit and head torch. I set off at 0244 hrs into the night with my trustee cyclist by my side and safety vehicle with its orange flashy light for the next 14 miles. This stage was undulating with a gradual climb up out of Thetford. I was glad I had driven round the route the day before as knowing the distances to each relevant junction on this entire stage really helped. Just about 6.3 miles was when we turned onto the forest track of soft sand, undulating ground with huge pot holes on route. I was so glad the vehicle followed me through this part to light my way. The soft sand took it out of the legs and my poor cyclist and vehicle were having problems too. It all added to the excitement of the wee small hours. Once back out on to roads things picked up again. I had about 3 male runners with there entourage of cyclists and vehicles come stonking past me at various stages throughout the leg all shouting encourage as they passed. And I was totally amazed at the amount of support there was at that time of the morning. Yes ok I may be mad but I thoroughly enjoyed this and I just may be back next year. The organisation for this event and the utter logistics was just fantastic.
oops fell over!!!
Two Towels.
My RNR relay race report.

News had got to the fetch support team that slow going had finished stage 2 and had passed the baton on to Cliffy tc to start stage 3 so nervous tension was building up inside me as I was still unsure what was ahead of me on all of the stage 4 leg of this race knowing that a lot of the route was off road.

Stage 3 was a only 5.39 miles so I knew I had little time to get my s**t together and make my way to the Stage 4 with my start in Wells and the thought of 12.76 miles to a completion for my stage in Salthouse not really entering my head at that moment in time.

I had asked Gobi if he would carry my bottles of liquid one bottle of lucozade sport and a bottle of water (yep I tend to do things in two's, who was it called me Noah this RNR weekend? oh yes my mate lums)

Jo screamed out load "He is in sight, I can see Cliffy" (yes folks these fetch tops sure do stand out a mile).

Curious and nervously I climbed the short raised bank to see for myself that he was and sure enough he was closing in to finish his stage and pass the baton on to me.

Has he get ever nearer shouts of well done cliffy were heard and has he got to me cliffy shouted out "here have one sweaty baton" and with a smooth change over I started my gps and off I went with Gobi following close behind my bike assist for this stage.


With sweaty baton in hand off I went along the coastal path making my way round the small harbour of wells next the sea with plenty of people in my way, pesky tourists did they not realise the RNR was going on.

Into wells and out the harbour I was reminded by Gobi that he would not be able to bike assist me on the off road section so suggested I took one of my bottles with me so I asked him to hand me my bottle of lucozade sport.

Coming to the start of the Peddars Way off road section matt and jo were there with words of support with john c also.

Matt had to remind Gobi that the off road section is not suitable for bikes "Gobi DO NOT GO DOWN IT" shouted matt.

Has I started to make my way I was soon overtaken by a runner with a club vest I did not recognize.

Not long after this another runner passed me then another the 3rd one shouted out has he passed "only 10miles to go" 10.76 I replied my Garmin having just clocked up 2 miles at this point.

After another mile or so there was an opening for traffic to get down the Peddars way route and photos were being taken by Slow and John C and words of encouragement were shouted " Come on Kev " from Matt & jo Gobi and John C.

This off road section seemed never ending when at last it did eventually come to and end on what had been a very long winding coastal path with marsh land to my left and the sea to far in the distance to really stand out that much.

It was at Morston Marshes I saw masses of people, cars boats and familiar fetch voices reunited with Gobi on bike assist I made the outward road section of this journey towards Blackney with cheers from Matt, jo and John C in the background.

This was familiar territory for me now as I have many times before been to Norfolk and knew the tough road section that was to come with rolling hills taking me towards Blakeney then Blakeney quay and towards Cley next the sea and to Salthouse itself.

At one point a small red skoda went past with words of encouragement shouted to me by lums and Gobi was ever going on about how well I was running and seemed to be telling me in great detail about the fact Rolls Royce cars have not get the same cc for the same model make etc as one after another came past us.

Sure enough Salthouse came ever closer and I said to Gobi I can see Salthouse those buildings over there the Dun Cow pub will be close to the right hand side of us.

As we passed the sign for Salthouse the pub in question was packed full of people in the beer garden enjoying the warm mid September sunshine and a few cheers from complete strangers came my way which was most welcome.

As we both made our way through the village I was beginning to panic that 12.76 miles was coming to an end and I would not even complete it in under two hours my predicted time of 1.46.58 had been a tad optimistic and I had not allowed for the fact that the yes flat but tough off road section would slow me down so much by some 12 minutes.

The course superbly marked pointed me left towards Chrisitys dreaded shingle banks and I could see his fetch vest in the distance with 500m to go I upped the ante and sprinted flat out the last part of what had been a gruelling 12.76 miles and with RNR support vehicles a plenty Matt and Jo and JohnC and lums near the finish I passed the baton on to Chrisity my stage now complete.

Two Towels.
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
46.24 for 3rd leg
Back To Top