Which half marathon for run/walk practise?

1 watcher
Jul 2015
2:23pm, 25 Jul 2015
951 posts
  •  
Lady Sol
Some of my Ramblers group are planning their first run/walk marathon next spring. The aim is to get everyone round Windermere in just under the 6.5 hour cut off by walking up the hills and running the downhills. It'll be my 8th Windermere marathon and I tend to run halfs earlier in Spring in training. But I'm stuck on suitable ones for run/walk practise for the others who want to do their first half before Windermere.

So far off memory I've only come up with:
* Stenying Stinger half. End Feb/early March. Definitely undulating, but off road and the under foot conditions can be tricky. Encourages walkers and I believe has a 4 hour time limit. I did it as my first marathon, but feel in bad weather it could put newbies off racing. Requires overnight stay from Midlands.
* Silverstone half. Early March. Large event to practice water stations etc. Suitable 3.5 hour time limit. Easy to get to from Midlands. But dead flat so can't practise the walk uphill/run downhill strategy.

Anyone know of any other half marathon ideas, ideally around March. Preferably on road or decent hard path, undulating, near the Midlands and with a 3.25hr+ cutoff time?
Jul 2015
4:16pm, 25 Jul 2015
34,984 posts
  •  
swittle
The Long Distance Walkers' Association publishes a calendar of events here:

ldwa.org.uk

Low key, undulating HMs may suit your objectives well. Good luck to your group. :)
Jul 2015
5:23pm, 25 Jul 2015
31,992 posts
  •  
Foxy
i can offer Good Friday in Milton Keynes in march - fine on cut off, within an hour & quarter of Birmingham depending on traffic, decent hard path although only slightly rolling rather than undulating.

Congrats on the 8 Windermere's :)
Jul 2015
5:29pm, 25 Jul 2015
34,985 posts
  •  
swittle
:) ^^
Jul 2015
5:58pm, 25 Jul 2015
952 posts
  •  
Lady Sol
Swittle, I'd vaguely had that thought, I'll check there website. But the past events I've done with them have been off road.

Foxy, would have been ideal, but I'm in Minehead that weekend. I'll see if any of the others could make it though.
Jul 2015
6:03pm, 25 Jul 2015
34,987 posts
  •  
swittle
Is this too late for you?

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/events/viewevent.asp?sp=&v=2&EN=92755&ms=
Jul 2015
6:56pm, 25 Jul 2015
10,570 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Alloa would probably be suitable, though I could understand why you and your group might not think it ideal for a holiday.
Jul 2015
7:47pm, 25 Jul 2015
953 posts
  •  
Lady Sol
Thanks Swittle, 4 hour cutoff so it looks good. I'll check that one out further :-)
Jul 2015
7:50pm, 25 Jul 2015
954 posts
  •  
Lady Sol
Dvorak I think that one's a little far unfortunately.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lady Sol
Some of my Ramblers group are planning their first run/walk marathon next spring. The aim is to get ...