Weighted blankets - Good thing, bad thing, thing?

3 watchers
Jan 2022
7:35pm, 6 Jan 2022
39,265 posts
  •  
Nellers
No, not a poll. A request for feedback.

Does anyone have any experience with weighted blankets and how they help with sleeping issues? Good or bad? Or very individual?

Thanks, Hivemind.
Jan 2022
7:36pm, 6 Jan 2022
30,151 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Lady at work says her other half swears by it
Jan 2022
7:37pm, 6 Jan 2022
30,152 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
I don’t have a weighted blanket but an old thick heavy blanket and definitely feel more cosy under it
Jan 2022
7:38pm, 6 Jan 2022
66,070 posts
  •  
Diogenes
My youngest daughter has one. She’s hardly ever conscious* :-)

*slight exaggeration
Jan 2022
7:40pm, 6 Jan 2022
66,071 posts
  •  
Diogenes
There’s a thread on this that’s listed in the related threads now it’s been tagged. There might be some advice on that.
Jan 2022
7:44pm, 6 Jan 2022
8,441 posts
  •  
becca7
I got one for my partner. He didn’t like it. I use it instead and find it quite pleasant.
Jan 2022
8:06pm, 6 Jan 2022
39,267 posts
  •  
Nellers
Thanks folks (and particularly Dio for pointing me at the older thread!)

It sounds like it’s worth a try (not for me. For eldest. I sleep like Yule log.
Jan 2022
8:22pm, 6 Jan 2022
84,029 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Haven't tried them but I have a heavy woollen woven blanket on the sofa and find the weight of it very relaxing. I also take it to somatic yoga (relaxing) and the other day to a gong bath.
I think I shall put it on top of my quite heavy duvet tonight and see if it helps. Been struggling with sleep lately...
Jan 2022
8:48pm, 6 Jan 2022
116 posts
  •  
Jingle J
I love mine. I'm autistic and a life-long insomniac with anxiety and various other 'head-issues', so a fairly good candidate to benefit from them, and I do benefit indeed!

Definitely has helped me sleep better - it's not a miracle worker; if I'm going through a particularly bad sleeping phase then nothing helps, but on average I feel I sleep better with it than without.

I don't use it all the time - it's definitely a solo experience - and when my insomnia is at a fairly tolerable level, it stays on the shelf and I share a normal duvet with my partner. If I slept alone every night, I'd probably use it every night though.

They are expensive but for me, something that *does* genuinely help me sleep better is priceless :)
Jan 2022
9:00pm, 6 Jan 2022
7,921 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
A work colleague talked about these earlier as they are excellent for autistic or particularly anxious people.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
No, not a poll. A request for feedback.

Does anyone have any experience with weighted blankets and how they help with sleeping issues? Good or bad? Or very individual?

Thanks, Hivemind.