Vocal cord dysfunction

2 watchers
May 2012
12:23pm, 22 May 2012
16 posts
  •  
TamsB
Hi I've just tested negative for exercise induced asthma and it was suggested to me by the person who tested me that I may have vocal cord dysfunction.

I've had a quick read up and it seems possible. Anyone else out there have any experience of this? Couldn't find anything else about it already on this site.
May 2012
12:26pm, 22 May 2012
8,901 posts
  •  
Pootle
I talk too much, does that count?
May 2012
12:30pm, 22 May 2012
12,969 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Did they offer anything more specific?
What did they base this on?
Did you do formal flow/volume loop testing in a respiratory lab, or just blow into the spirometer in the GP surgery?

EIA is difficult to diagnose, and there is no formal test that can exclude it. Its mostly a matter of whether you get any benefit from inhalers or not.
There awas a big article only a few weeks ago about how EIA is increasingly common and sports governing bodies have abandoned formal testing.
May 2012
12:33pm, 22 May 2012
17 posts
  •  
TamsB
Thanks Johnny - I did the full (unpleasant) 8 minute test in a resiratory lab and only got a 5% reduction, so EIA was discounted. The VCD theory stemmed from the observation of almost immediate wheezing when I started the test, and also the way I was breathing.
May 2012
12:35pm, 22 May 2012
3,456 posts
  •  
WA (Windassisted)
You need to be referred to ENT so they can have a look.
May 2012
12:37pm, 22 May 2012
627 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
And there was I thinking that this was the tribute thread for Robin Gibb - as you were....
May 2012
12:38pm, 22 May 2012
4,384 posts
  •  
GlennR
My EIA only occurs under conditions that would be virtually impossible to replicate in a test environment. I can't even predict when it's likely to happen when running.
May 2012
12:40pm, 22 May 2012
12,970 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Fair enough. They need flow volume loops to diagnose it though, rather than just reversibility. Any hospital and many GPs can do this nowadays, but it might actually be too simple for a proper exercise lab.
Its an upper airway obstruction problem and there will be flattening of the curve which, whilst not specific to vocal cord dysfunction, does indicate upper airway obstruction.
The basic problem is that your peak flow of gas through your voice box is reduced, but you wouldn't notice it at rest.

Have they referred you on?
Treatment is (I think) psychological, apart from on the vanishingly rare occasions where there is an anatomical abnormality.
May 2012
12:42pm, 22 May 2012
745 posts
  •  
Helegant
Similar here (test isn't long enough to trigger the stress response).
May 2012
12:42pm, 22 May 2012
3,457 posts
  •  
WA (Windassisted)
Johnny- treatment varies dep on the problem, but more investigations needed first. Unlikely that an SLT will treat until seen by ENT

About This Thread

Maintained by TeeBee
Hi I've just tested negative for exercise induced asthma and it was suggested to me by the person w...