Veg(etari)an group

125 watchers
9 Mar
8:30am, 9 Mar 2024
13,505 posts
  •  
sallykate
It’s a bit if a myth - I’ll post a link later about it. And Zoe is telling me to eat 85-153g protein each day - tricky to see the point of that if we can only cope with 20g at a time.
9 Mar
12:19pm, 9 Mar 2024
27,595 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Hmm, the generally held figure is I think 30-35g of protein per meal. That's what lifting/strength websites go by, and I don't think it's just broscience.
9 Mar
12:31pm, 9 Mar 2024
27,596 posts
  •  
Dvorak
Also, unless you personally sallykate are spending 2-3 hours in the gym every day doing some very serious lifting, I have many doubts over that 153g figure.
9 Mar
12:41pm, 9 Mar 2024
121,525 posts
  •  
Hanneke
I would not trust/rely on Zoe...
9 Mar
12:53pm, 9 Mar 2024
13,511 posts
  •  
sallykate
Protein - here's a link if you're interested in any more detail: instagram.com

TL;DR - only a small percentage of protein is used for muscle-building; if you eat more than 20-30g in one go it will still be used, just digested more slowly. The 20g figure comes from a study which showed there was limited benefit in terms of building muscle. More than that is not "wasted", but it's more likely to be used for other things.

As far as recommended amounts go, 0.75g per kg bodyweight is a good minimum for women. That equates to 64g for me at my current weight. I am targeting 1g per kg as I am trying to increase muscle a bit (or at least prevent mid-50s decline).

If training seriously to gain muscle then the upper limit given by Zoe would apply, i.e. 1.8g per kg bodyweight.
15 Mar
8:52pm, 15 Mar 2024
962 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
Last year I bought a 1kg bag of hemp flour (30% protien) becuase it was cheap and trying new things always seems more fun when I'm in the shops than at home.

My current thinking is it add a teaspoon to my morning porridge, and maybe also use it in veggie burgers/fritters.

Has anyone used it before, and have any tips or suggestions?
15 Mar
8:53pm, 15 Mar 2024
963 posts
  •  
Jenelopy
(asking here not the baking thread as in my mind it followed on from the protien discussion sallykate started)
15 Mar
9:14pm, 15 Mar 2024
23,546 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Well I use teff flour to make injera, which is a fermented pancake. The protein content is comparable. Could you make a pancake or even ferment it like you do with injera, Jenelopy?
22 Mar
9:33am, 22 Mar 2024
27,623 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I cooked cauliflower "steaks" last night, for the first time. I'd never even eaten one before. Went surprisingly well.

When looking for a recipe, some were sear and oven roast, some just roast. I went for the former, done in a little butter and olive oil, and rubbed with paprika.

One thing is, must eat quickly, they don't retain their heat.

And on the protein front, as I'd been to the gym, I consumed more, reaching 100g. A third of that was as a drink though (from Lidl). I struggle to get higher figures through normal eating, 60g a day would be a more usual average (about 10% or less of calorie intake).
7 Apr
8:52pm, 7 Apr 2024
42,618 posts
  •  
Nellers
https://youtu.be/UIQhjbU684s?si=0sE0iC_jGPH-fEI5

It might raise a smile in this crowd but if you watch it, it might raise some cash for an animal sanctuary so it's worth the risk of not being amused for 10 minutes, surely?

About This Thread

Maintained by Corrah
Hello everyone ;)

This a chat thread for our Veg(etari)an group, every veg(etari)an is welcome to...