Urgent! (sorry!) Log a run on Fetch with no watch! :-)

1 watcher
Jul 2020
10:36pm, 19 Jul 2020
18,940 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
You can Manually import FIT files and/or GPX files from strava into Fetch. I don’t know what the difference is between the 2 formats, but if I use GPX when importing Zwift rides they come in as "Cycling - General" and have mile splits etc whereas if I use the FIT format they import as "Cycling - Zwift" and there is only one split for the whole session start-to-finish.
Jul 2020
10:39pm, 19 Jul 2020
18,941 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
The Fetch App was only on iOS, I think. I was always very disappointed with it because it kept falling over and leaving me without the record/trace I wanted. If I’ve forgotten my watch I just use strava app which is very good (and it bloody should be when you see how many developers they employ!).
Jul 2020
9:14am, 20 Jul 2020
35,643 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yeah, been manually importing - 3 done now, and as Dv said, it's not exactly a big hassle!

Weird running with the phone in bum bag so no watch on wrist to say how far you've gone. I genuinely didn't know if yesterday would be 10, 11 or 12 miles. 12.5 said the phone at the end! :-) G
um
Jul 2020
9:15am, 20 Jul 2020
2,976 posts
  •  
um
HappyG - this is Garmin Connect import. From the main screen, the cloud with arrow in the top right hand corner.

Jul 2020
9:19am, 20 Jul 2020
35,644 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Oh, cool um. Sorry, didn't know you could do that. As you say, it will then be in 3 places, as normal, cos at the moment Garmin is missing. Though I don't really mind Garmin missing, because I really only use it as the conduit. strava is club and social and openly visible, Fetch is the Golden Source of truth, of course! :-) G
Jul 2020
9:24am, 20 Jul 2020
11,570 posts
  •  
larkim
Interesting about the FIT file HG.

I've found with some 3rd party systems, if you upload a file to Garmin it will get "Pushed" to other systems. There is a manual import in Garmin Connect, so for example if I use Zwift (which can update strava directly, but not GC I don't think) I just upload it to GC and then it magically appears in Fetch too without having to do anything else. Presumably the same would happen with your current setup.
Jul 2020
9:27am, 20 Jul 2020
35,645 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Yes larks. But it happens to be that the app I'm using is strava app on phone. If I was using another app e.g. RunKeeper, I'd def upload to Garmin like um suggested and then let it push to strava (web) and Fetch. But cos I'm logging in strava anyway, I've just been saving as FIT and uploading to Fetch. It's all good.

According to Royal Mail tracking my Garmin return parcel is at Totton PO, on its way to Garmin Europe in Southampton. Stay safe little watch! :-) G
Jul 2020
9:42am, 20 Jul 2020
11,571 posts
  •  
larkim
Yes, but if you instead chose to send the FIT to garmin rahter than Fetch, it would appear on fetch too, so all would be in sync. I couldn't comprehend having Fetch <> Garmin <> strava <> RunAnalyse!! But then perhaps I have unnecessary tendencies there!! ;-)
Jul 2020
10:49am, 20 Jul 2020
35,646 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Different brain wiring Larks! My solutions are only based on my need to use, not on generic orderliness! :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
Hi, sorry, I'm sure this is in Fetch somewhere but can't find it and going out in one hour...