Fetch App (yet another false dawn?)

10 watchers
8 Jan
12:33am, 8 Jan 2024
1,776 posts
  •  
Mark J
I've been bigging up Fecth on a few Coros forums of late. Far too many people using that Str***thing for my liking and also paying through the nose for it, but the app question always end s up being levelled at me. So, fetcheveryone, what gives in this day an age of apps for everything?
8 Jan
10:03am, 8 Jan 2024
30,025 posts
  •  
fetcheveryone
Time is the main constraint. It'd be necessary to build and maintain two apps - one for Apple and another for Android. Both would require me to work with languages and platforms that I'm not exactly familiar with.

There are then two options:

1) Make something that replicates some/all the functionality of the website. I have made a conscious decision not to do this, preferring instead to make the site mobile friendly. This means I have just one version of everything to maintain. For those who like having a big button on their home screen to launch their training log, it's possible to use the 'Add to Home Screen' option when viewing the site (on iPhone, it's in the "arrow leaving rectangle" menu). This makes it *look* like an app, which pleases some folks.

2) Make an app that just captures GPS traces. I tried this for a while, and whilst it worked (with some bugs) it was extremely simple and lacking in features compared to various other GPS tracking apps already on the market. Adding and maintaining all these features (twice!) would take a great deal of effort. Instead, I suggest that people use the Wahoo app, as their GPS tracking app can be set up to automatically export runs, walks etc to Fetcheveryone. Another factor here is that folks who have been running for a reasonable amount of time tend to have a GPS watch, which makes using an app unnecessary.

Thinking of your COROS buddies, I guess the majority have watches - and so linking them up with Fetch is pretty easy. So maybe that 'Add to Home Screen' trick might give them what they need.

I think I'll copy this into a blog :-)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
It turns out that since Apple have released Swift (the new programming language for putting together...