Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

"Trust Me, I'm a Doctor" - the TV programme

1 watcher
Sep 2016
2:56pm, 6 Sep 2016
3976 posts
Markymarkmark
(Because I'm def. not a doctor!)

Did anyone else happen to see last nights's episode of "Trust Me, I'm a Doctor" on quite late - on BBC2 so easily missed!

They were reviewing wearable fitness monitors - most looked like fitbits to me! Seems the heart rate monitor readings (based mostly on wrist pulse) are pretty unreliable. And the step counters aren't a whole lot better!

Thoughts?

I assume my Garmin Chest strap works on vibrations, since when I wear a flappy shirt or don't do it up tight enough I get Very Odd readings indeed!
Sep 2016
4:10pm, 6 Sep 2016
367 posts
Daz Love
I had read that the HR on fitbits can be out. I do use one and really just you as a gimmick. I don't get the impression they were designed for already active people! 10k steps a day, the amount I do playing golf and running each week is c17k per day on average!!

I always thoug the chest strap HR from Garmin (which I also use) picked up actual heartbeat it's not done on vibrations. I can tell you that when working hard eg interval training the HR between Garmin and Fitbit is out by a fair bit. When resting there is little difference.

From what I have read the HR straps are as accurate as you can get. Yes, if it slips you get a misread as is not in the right place!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Markymarkmark
(Because I'm def. not a doctor!)

Did anyone else happen to see last nights's episode of "Trust...