Training on a treadmill

3 watchers
Feb 2013
9:26pm, 22 Feb 2013
2 posts
  •  
Annemc69
All very positive - thank you. BBC podcasts are brilliant to listen to and help to banish the boredom. Will get outside once back in the UK, but while in Lagos have to stick to the gym and the pool.
Feb 2013
9:35pm, 22 Feb 2013
15,106 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I do about 20 miles a week (or more) on a tready. I have done 20 in one go.
Music for shorter things (up to 10 miles or so).
For the longer ones I plug my phone in to it and watch a film. Time flies.

I set the incline to .5, just because it feels right. Anything steeper than that and my calves get tight.

It will be fine for your race. Running is running, and although you might ideally train on the surface that you will race on, its not like you are doing a fell race. Treadmills are actually very similar to roads.
Feb 2013
9:57pm, 22 Feb 2013
1,072 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I agree with the others - I did a mara on a treadmill & it's really the boredom more than anything. I can't cope with a set incline as it makes my legs tight too, I usually put it on hill programe at a low level & vary the speeds a bit too.
Feb 2013
9:58pm, 22 Feb 2013
7,496 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
Can you run a marathon on a treadmill after three or four Rohypnols? That would suit me fine. :-)
Feb 2013
7:35pm, 24 Feb 2013
1,908 posts
  •  
Tim of MK
I've always trained exclusively indoors and have never found the transition to outdoors on racedays any problem (except for sometimes the weather). Some. set a 0.5 incline, but I've never bothered with that.

My only advice is that you need to take a lot of fluid onboard, as gym's are notorious for dehydration.
Feb 2013
7:46pm, 24 Feb 2013
17,107 posts
  •  
Johnny Blaze
I've done up to 18 miles on a treddie. The ones I used had a telly, but the best thing was to use an Ipod. Treddies are excellent for shorter tempo runs and intervals as well. I got fit for my pb marathon largely by using a treddie to work on speed. It can be done.
Feb 2013
8:42pm, 24 Feb 2013
50,426 posts
  •  
Gobi
Looks like Tim Read my post before posting

ps. if you get the focus right music and a dot on the wall are all you need
Feb 2013
9:39pm, 24 Feb 2013
59 posts
  •  
andydgg
I did 3 hours on a treadmill a few weeks ago, used a hr monitor and set up a monitor and laptop and watched a film, time went by really fast.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I have no choice but to train on a treadmill until 3.5 weeks before a half marathon in April. I'm ...