Treadmill Training Tips

5 watchers
Feb 2012
9:17pm, 6 Feb 2012
637 posts
  •  
wiener dog
I do all my speed work on a tredmill winter and summer, but that is really because I have no Garmin and also know I would not do the intervals outside even if I did as I would just not have the discapline and would slow down every time I saw something interesting. With the treadmill I have no choice but to run at the speed set unless I want to fall off the back. As I said I am a bit weird though.
Feb 2012
9:31pm, 6 Feb 2012
13,066 posts
  •  
Pestomum
3rded what was said about incline. Run to HR if it's really bothering you.
Feb 2012
9:36pm, 6 Feb 2012
11,408 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
The debate lives on. Some claim the wind resistance thing is a real issue, some deny it. I like a slight incline as it pushes me onto a forefoot landing which often starts to get a bit scrappy at speed.
The ease at which you can run at pace on a tready is most likely due to calibration errors. I shot through 1200m intervals at 6mm pace the other week, but it wasn't on one of my 'regular' treadmills. When i went back to one of the usual machines it was hard again.
Some coaches recommend incline, some don't. Some recommend a higher pace for an equivalent road pace, some don't.

Running to HR is about the best you can do, but then again, you could just put a film on and jog along in the warmth. :)
Feb 2012
10:02pm, 6 Feb 2012
5,172 posts
  •  
The_Saint
I have quizzed the Life Fitness engineer who services the three Life Fitness treadmills in my office gym at such length that I think he is convinced I am a treadmill fetishist . . . .

In terms of speed and distance accuracy. . . .

Basically the models we have (9500HR and 95Ti) have an internal consistency check between the known length of the belt and the motor speed and if the computer detected a problem, it would indicate a fault. Do other treadmills work this way ? I don't know but I find other makes of treadmill a bit crap in comparison if I'm honest - so insist on Life Fitness . . .

"Just run faster" seems to cover the issue of being easier than outside.
Feb 2012
10:04pm, 6 Feb 2012
11,411 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
In my gym (I don't own it) they are all life fitness, not sure which model, but probably all similar, just with different combinations of tv screen and iPod connectors.
I wonder if the ones in 'pervs row' (in front of the pool) seem easier because the aircon is better, and there are things to distract you?
Feb 2012
10:19pm, 6 Feb 2012
12,144 posts
  •  
hellen
I'm the opposite
If I put the treadmill on my easy run outside pace it feels really hard!
Feb 2012
10:30pm, 6 Feb 2012
6,044 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
My gym has several treadmills. I always use the same one because, even if the speed is wrong, it will always be the same "wrong"
Feb 2012
10:49pm, 6 Feb 2012
3,344 posts
  •  
Kieren
Treadmill sucks your foot from under you so is pretty different to running outdoors.

I use them for hard sessions although this has to come from incline as most don't go fast enough.

I do what I call a 2 at 2 workout which is usually over fast and breaks up the monotony.

Start at 6kph at 2% incline
after 2 minutes, raise the speed 2kph and also the incline 2%

Depending on how long you want the work out to last, you can just raise the speed or just raise the incline.

Come back to 2% at 6kph to rest and repeat

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Nellers
Right, so with the roads and paths being covered in snow and ice at the mo I'm resorting to the tre...