Training in between Half Marathon plans

2 watchers
Sep 2013
11:00pm, 17 Sep 2013
5,424 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Fair enough, AL. If they work for you, then it's definitely worth sticking to.

I found them too prescriptive for my liking, but then apparently my brain works differently to most peoples :-/

Good luck with the training - hopefully we've all given you a few new and interesting ideas if nothing else!
Sep 2013
9:23am, 18 Sep 2013
2,639 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Definitely - I can imagine a day when I won't stick to them - it wouldn't occur to me to have a plan for a 10k race anymore, it's all about the unfamiliar - so I'm sure as I get more used to knowing what half-marathon ready feels like I will have more confidence about doing my own thing.
Sep 2013
10:16am, 18 Sep 2013
2,760 posts
  •  
Wobbling
AL - I'm in the same boat as you, I like a training plan because it gives me discipline. In the Autumn / Winter when I'm not training for a particular race, I pull together a maintenance plan - 3 - 4 times a week, long run of between 8 and 10 miles, two mid week runs, between 4 and 6 miles and perhaps tempo or fartlek session.
Sep 2013
10:21am, 18 Sep 2013
594 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
AL - do you use a heart rate monitor at all? Following a HR based plan might be a different approach which would keep you interested, and contribute to improving your times as well. Alternatively - start playing Fetchpoint competitively. The miles just fly by when you're planting flowers and squishing bugs!
Sep 2013
10:49am, 18 Sep 2013
2,641 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Wobbling that sounds very do-able and is the sort of thing I wanted to think about. Rev - I have used a HRM but I find it a bit of a faff - and on occasion it would leave me a bit sore so I stopped! It's not really a question of motivation, more about how to use the time constructively - maintenance is definitely a good word!
Sep 2013
11:45am, 18 Sep 2013
596 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
The reason I suggest the HRM is because of the concept of base building as being a good thing to do during the off season. According to HRM gurus, most runners spend most of their time running too hard on easy days, and not hard enough on hard days. I guess you could use the HRM a few times to find out what sort of pace was easy enough for an easy day (which would probably shock you!), run at about that sort of pace unless you were doing tempo or something, and then check again in a month to see if it's changed.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Autumnleaves
I'd welcome some advice - having done 2 half marathons this year - in March & September, I am looki...