The Sub-40-10k help and advice thread

108 watchers
SPR
Jan 2023
4:27pm, 1 Jan 2023
39,357 posts
  •  
SPR
Good work Bowman and looking at the stats, you're probably being too hard on yourself.
Jan 2023
4:37pm, 1 Jan 2023
2,224 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Thanks spr, what’s your analysis then?
I think I had a few more beats on my heart on an average, I was never near the burning sensation of lactate, and I should’ve pushed on a little harder between 8 and 9 km either to get a back to follow or just take on the head wind and slope a little better. I lost 10-12 seconds there and I really didn’t notice until it was too late.
Also I did not give it all in the end, I was just happy to have the strength to push a little harder. I had people besides me, and I settled on just run besides then even though I could run harder.
But immediately afterwards I wondered why I didn’t push harder in the end.
Not that competitive maybe :)
The mind is strange sometimes :)
SPR
Jan 2023
5:18pm, 1 Jan 2023
39,358 posts
  •  
SPR
Assuming HR is accurate, you maintained effort for 8 and 9 and power stats also seem reasonable. A slope and headwind are going to slow you down so all seems reasonable. The effort at the end is all about what motivates you in most cases (beating others, specific time, etc). Obviously only you know what was there but the stats don't show slacking off from what I can see. Presumably this wasn't an A race so take the positives and work on whatever needs to be worked on for next time where necessary.
Jan 2023
5:44pm, 1 Jan 2023
2,225 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Yes I think HR is as accurate it can be.
I use a hr strap that works well. The zones here are set by me thogh, and more for my hr training than “real zones” but you are right, it was a good race over all, and a good experience for next time. And yes it wasn’t A race in that matter in my head, I’ll work on that to :)
Thanks!
Apr 2023
10:22am, 7 Apr 2023
2,510 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
So how goes the sub 40 preparations now?
I have a 10k race in 8 days.
As always, how to taper, I don’t want to stray away from my marathon preparations to far, I really don’t want to bin that weeks long run, but I might have to, I also don’t want to go below 100km mileage that week.
But I also want to give me reasonably fresh legs for a good effort.
All these decisions…
Apr 2023
5:44pm, 7 Apr 2023
16,179 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
What days the race and what day is your long run usually on? Is there a way to do some Kms before/after the race? You could just put your weeks sessions on different days to allow you to be as fresh as possible (given that you are doing 100km in the week!)
Apr 2023
6:03pm, 7 Apr 2023
2,512 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
The race is on Saturday next week chunky.
I will do a long run tomorrow, for this week.

I’ll probably get some good mileage in the beginning of next week too, as I usually have double days on Mondays and Wednesdays
But I also feel that I need some speed sessions this coming week too.

I might scrap some of the mileage.
I don’t really know.
But I guess I can’t add any real increased fitness last 6-7 days really.
Apr 2023
8:06pm, 7 Apr 2023
16,183 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
Yep, if you’re near the end then don't over-stress and if you want to go for it on the 10K lose a bit of mileage the day before.
Apr 2023
8:59pm, 7 Apr 2023
2,513 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Yes I might take an easier week.
The training has been good for a long time, and the race will be good training too.
jda
Apr 2023
8:37pm, 10 Apr 2023
14,642 posts
  •  
jda
Well I guess I knocked out a sub-40 a week ago, but it was a bit disappointing to only just duck under 39 when I'd been under 38 (on a faster course) a month earlier. Still, it's done.

As for tapering with these test races, in the middle of aa block of marathon training I would (and did!) probably pare back the thursday training session a bit and also have a fairly light saturday before a sunday race, other than that, not a real taper.

About This Thread

Maintained by chunkywizard
Help and Advice on how to run sub 40 minutes for 10K.

A Recommended Training Plan: mcmillanrunning.com

Upcoming attempts:
Any more, let me know!

2021 Hall of Fame:
Big_G 39:52