The Bronchitis Thread

1 watcher
Oct 2011
5:50pm, 18 Oct 2011
4,927 posts
  •  
♣BelleVueRacer♣of Beartown
Just been diagnosed with mild chronic bronchitis. Don't know what the he'll that means so I thought I'd start a thread before I go out for a run. Let's all cough up some ling oysters and be more use to each other than my consultant (aka dr vague) was to me today. I'm sure that it sounds more dramatic than it actually is but would be grateful for any tips.

Happy coughing !
Oct 2011
5:53pm, 18 Oct 2011
17,916 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Chronic bronchitis as in what you get from smoking, or chronic bronchitis as in an infection that leaves you wheezy for a few months but'll get better by itself in time?
Oct 2011
6:00pm, 18 Oct 2011
4,928 posts
  •  
Both apply to me, quit fags in 2007, pneumonia in March 2011. But my FEV was 82% so nowt to worry about I reckon. But he did say to avoid running in cold air. Not sure how that will work.
Oct 2011
6:06pm, 18 Oct 2011
17,919 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Tricky one, eh! Have you been prescribed inhalers?
Oct 2011
6:16pm, 18 Oct 2011
4,929 posts
  •  
Yes, seritide 250 dsichaler, been on that since I was a smoker. Not downgraded since I stopped. The irony is, if I can't run in cold air, that makes winter running the new smoking? I have ru. When cheery in the past, not wanted to let the club down (XC leagues etc)...

I'm in defiant mode at the moment (ie "sod it I'll keep running even when cold") but will reflect on it.
My consultant, bless him, was a bit vague, I had to ask a lot of questions before I nailed a diagnosis. The diagnosis went from maybe to certainly thronghout the consultation though. Thing is, asthma, bronchitis, six of one half a dozen of the other. Just take meds and be careful I reckon.
Oct 2011
6:19pm, 18 Oct 2011
17,920 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Take your Seretide regularly and make sure you've got your blue inhaler to hand when you're running (maybe even use it before you go out) and you may well be fine.

I'd be inclined to give you vague advice along the lines of "see how you get on, if running in cold air makes you cough and wheeze even if you use your inhaler you should probably think about investing in a treadmill".
Oct 2011
6:25pm, 18 Oct 2011
4,930 posts
  •  
Yes, I'm a hypochondriach so always have a blue with me in my running belt.

Treadmills.... I was just thinking that. Unthinkable untilmnow but I suppose it will make me appreciate proper running more :-)

Good advice, thank you!
Oct 2011
6:33pm, 18 Oct 2011
9,639 posts
  •  
HellsBells
was that a respiratory consultant Bellevue?
Chronic bronchitis is no longer recognised as a diagnosis and they need to try and sort out whether it's cOPD or asthma as the treatment is different.
if we're talking mild cOPD (and with an FEV1 of >80%, that is by definition mild), then seretide is the wrong inhaler.
It should be the blue inhlaer as required and if that is insufficient to control symptoms, then serevent should be added
Inhaled steroids are only recommended when FEV1 is < 50%

nice.org.uk
Oct 2011
6:44pm, 18 Oct 2011
4,931 posts
  •  
HellsBells - yes it was.

The FEV1 was either 88% or 82%, I'm not sure which. The seritide was prescribed years ago for asthma. I'll have a look at the link now.

Ps, are you a consultant?

Many many thanks! :-)
Oct 2011
7:18pm, 18 Oct 2011
9,640 posts
  •  
HellsBells
no I'm a GP but I was COPD lead in my last practice

About This Thread

Maintained by M62 Santa
Just been diagnosed with mild chronic bronchitis. Don't know what the he'll that means so I though...