Taper q

2 watchers
Oct 2013
1:04pm, 11 Oct 2013
3,967 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I would do a decent taper for a HM - if it was my 'A' priority race. And then I would tailor that whole week towards the race.

But it isn't your 'A' race (and it never is mine, either). But I know what you mean about a) wanting it to go well for the confidence boost, and b) being able to use a well-executed raced HM to set (or fine-tune) your marathon target pace.
So my approach is usually continue with normal marathon training plan up to Tuesday or Wednesday of the pre-HM week, then substitute the Thursday session either for an easy 5-7m, or maybe a very light race-pace session. Say 4 x 800m at HM pace, nothing that's going to take much out of you. And I'd not run the day before the race either (but some folk *like* to run the day before a race, even their 'A' race, so that's more a personal thing).

Having just re-read your post - I don't think I would do my LR on Tue/Wed on the race week, but definitely OK the week before. If you could shift the LR forward by a day or two, then I'd do that then too.
Oct 2013
12:50pm, 20 Oct 2013
18 posts
  •  
jdarun
Well, for the record....I had quite a strenuous weekend (hard run and then 2 days hillwalking), the intended midweek run was delayed to Thursday by a passing typhoon so I only did 4k hard in 12k total. I certainly felt bouncy enough for Sunday's race, though I didn't do very well basically because I'm not yet used to running hard after a hot summer of slow jogging. So I didn't learn very much, other than that I'm not ready for racing!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jda
I've got a HM in two weeks. However, my main aim is a full marathon in 7 weeks. I think my training...