A quick 'Week before a Race' question

1 watcher
Apr 2015
2:13pm, 23 Apr 2015
129 posts
  •  
RedAlex76
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get your views / advice on something.

I have my first race coming in 3 weeks (Green Park 10k) I know I am capable of running the distance without too many issues.

But I was wondering in the week before the race when do you suggest is the best day to have a last run before the day itself?

Or with a race of this sort of distance does that even need to be considered??

Thanks in advance guys

RA
Apr 2015
2:25pm, 23 Apr 2015
25,717 posts
  •  
Old Croc
That a good question. It a very personal thing though. And also depends on type of race - is it a focus race? or a race on the way to a goal?

personally I rarely run the day before a race, sometimes not for two days, even easing up on the Thursday run. Last target race I did (Inverness Half) I literally did naff all the day before - a v lazy day.

Some people prefer to train right up to race day. You will soon decide what best for you through experience. My personal view would be have at least the day before off, and last two runs before that very steady.
Apr 2015
2:27pm, 23 Apr 2015
25,718 posts
  •  
Old Croc
oh and btw - good luck with 10k and enjoy it
Apr 2015
2:32pm, 23 Apr 2015
22 posts
  •  
skookie
I tend not to run 1 or 2 days before any run ( esp if im doing a half ) As Croc says , its a personal thing and don't over do it leading upto race day, last thing you want is sore legs or worse. GL and have fun :)
Apr 2015
4:42pm, 23 Apr 2015
55,797 posts
  •  
Gobi
So i run day before

Big fan of rest day 2 days out
Apr 2015
8:18pm, 23 Apr 2015
310 posts
  •  
jdarun
IMO it doesn't matter a jot when you run. Just how much you run in the run up to the race. Higher mileage runners pretty much run every day (maybe the occasional day off). Heck, proper elites might even go for a run early on the morning of a marathon. Either a day off or a short jog would probably be fine for you, depends a bit how regularly you run already.
Apr 2015
11:49pm, 23 Apr 2015
10,022 posts
  •  
Dvorak
I'd normally suggest an easy run on the Saturday, largely as you will probably be well twitchy and keep wondering if you should run and it's easier if you just get that out of the way. Just fifteen or twenty slow minutes. But for your first race, maybe do that on the Friday. If you can't sit still on Saturday, have a walk. Not a long walk ;-).

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by RedAlex76
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to get your views / advice on something.

I have my first race coming in 3...