Stryd power meter

9 watchers
Dec 2021
6:10pm, 30 Dec 2021
716 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
NR, yes ok, well just for the power aspect I have running dynamics metric from Garmin on my HR pro.

Big G,
Ok so I guess it worked fine in wet conditions, and the only thing that is affected is the wind maybe, that isn’t really working that good anyway. I’ve read that elsewhere to.
Yup, im mostly interested in the pace and so on. Im not really sure how it will work, and the online reviews are not helping :)
Dec 2021
6:58pm, 30 Dec 2021
1,351 posts
  •  
Big_G
Yes, it works fine in wet conditions for me. IE, through deep puddles and very heavy rain.

In a very, very strong wind it didn’t really register anything about air power, which was a shame. I contacted stryd about it (their email support is good), but I didn’t really get to the bottom of why, except they said they couldn’t see any errors.

Regarding pace/distance you can calibrate it on a 400m track I think, although I’ve not done that. It gives an option for a calibration factor, although I’ve not looked into this in detail, but if you have a distance you know is, say, 5-miles but Stryd says it’s 4.8 or 5.2 (for example) you can tell it a calibration factor to correct the distances.
Dec 2022
8:31pm, 5 Dec 2022
1,740 posts
  •  
Longwayround [LWR]
I've invested in the new Stryd power meter, largely because I live at the top of a steep hill so most of my runs are rather undulating. So far, I'm thoroughly impressed.
Dec 2022
9:10pm, 5 Dec 2022
2,066 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
I have been interested in stryd forth and back, but since I got ahold of my Fenix 7 I got as accurate pace as I need, everywhere. And with last big update on the HR strap from Garmin I have excellent pace indoors on a treadmill as well.
Feb 2023
8:29pm, 11 Feb 2023
2,386 posts
  •  
tipsku
I have been using a Stryd pod since last May, so 9 months now. I didn't have to pay for it because I am recording data for a research team who do a large scale study of runners, their training load and their injury history. I just had to give my consent to them using data from my Stryd and my Garmin profiles and since then, I've been using it for every run. For the first 6 months of the study, I had a subscription that was included. I didn't renew it when the free time was up.

I'd say I'm mostly pleased with it with a few smaller caveats. My pod is measuring short when I let it measure pace/distance. During the marathon, it took 50 m or 5% off each km and showed me much slower pace than I was running in reality. At km 6, I disabled the pace/distance function and relied on GPS. But Stryd was more accurate about my ability to hold a certain pace/power for the total distance of the race so there, I should have listened to it, once I figured out the pace/distance problem.
According to the contact person of the study, stryd should be more accurate than GPS and most users rely on the pod. Unfortunately, mine always is about 3-5% short, even on a 400m track where I know the exact distance.Even with smart recording disabled and capturing data every second, It measured 390 m (-2.5%) in lane 1 and 1000m repeats on a straight line calibration track also ended at 968 m and 965 m (-3.2-3.5%). When I use Garmin's track running widget, I get exactly 400 m if I'm in lane 1. If I'm running in another lane, it knows how long that is so the laps are always the same length. Therefore, I keep Garmin's GPS for pace/distance but I like the rest of the power and running dynamics data. I also run my key sessions with a Garmin Run HRM with extra data so it's fun to compare the two.

I've written more detailed notes about my experience with Stryd that I could put together into a blog post. I wouldn't shell out the money for it but I'm happy to use it for free for the study and it somewhat helps me with getting a more balance view of my abilities as a runner.
Feb 2023
9:21pm, 11 Feb 2023
2,387 posts
  •  
tipsku
fetcheveryone.com/blog-share.php?id=462811
It got quite detailed in the end. :)
Apr 2023
8:35pm, 28 Apr 2023
2,998 posts
  •  
tipsku
I'm getting a bit frustrated by my stryd pod. It has been stuck on the same CP for ages, 183 W. For common race distances, it gives me the following target power averages. Below, I have added actual values for races I did in the past 90 days:

mile: 210 W for 6:40 +/-8 seconds (6:32-6:48)
209 W for a 6:34 on 23 February - very accurate for the average power but I'm at the faster end of that prediction at that power

5k: 195 W for 22:17 +/- 27 seconds (21:50-22:34)
(I didn't race a 5k, just did parkrun as a tempo so no data here)

10k: 187 W for 46:36 +/- 46 seconds (45:50-47:22)
183 W for a 44:33 on 28 January, Stryd measured 9.91 km - I would have finished in about 44:45-50 if it had been 10k. Still, lower watt but faster pace - Stryd assumed that I could only run about 7:30 pace but I managed just under 7:15 and stayed a minute below its most optimistic prediction.

half: 178 W for 1:43:28 +/- 2:04 min (1:41:24-1:45:32)
I ran 1:41:30 in October 2022 with 183 W average, identical to the 10k in January but with 7:45 m/m pace as opposed to 7:15 in the 10k - both with the same power average. How that is supposed to work, running with the same power but 30 seconds faster, I don't really understand. Have I become a lot more efficient? I didn't lose a lot of weight, maybe 1-2 lbs in marathon training.
I get the feeling that Stryd is still stuck on this; here, I'm close to the faster end of the prediction but at a higher watt value - different from the mile or the 10k where I'm running with lower power but faster. Anyways, it doesn't make sense.

Secondly, I ran a 1:45:47 as a marathon race pace rehearsal with 177.6 W average for the 21k, just over 8:00 m/m pace and pretty close to the actual marathon below. Stryd would have predicted that power only for a half and didn't think I could hold 178 W for twice the distance.

marathon: 167 W for 3:41:35 (+/- 4:26 min), so 3:37:09 - 3:46:01.
I ran a 3:29:36 with 178 W average on Sunday, 7:55 pace. I totally blew that out of the ballpark; 7:30 min faster than the lower end of the prediction and basically half marathon power.

In short, the longer the distance, the worse Stryd does when trying to predict my performance. The power averages for the shorter distances are a bit lower than what Stryd thinks I can do but it thinks I should be slower at those power values. The half and the full marathon are totally off.

I think I have to start my own calculations and just ignore the power suggestions for race distances, at least for anything longer than a 10k. Maybe another topic for a blog.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by olde english
stryd.com I'm bored (injured) so therefore shopping. Anybody purchased a Stryd foot pod...