Stryd power meter

9 watchers
Feb 2017
9:40pm, 10 Feb 2017
98 posts
  •  
olde english
stryd.com I'm bored (injured) so therefore shopping. Anybody purchased a Stryd foot pod? Looks kinda fun /interesting and I do love stat. Supposed to measure power output (haven't found the formula on how yet) which I can see a use for...if vaguely accurate.
Sep 2019
7:16am, 8 Sep 2019
8,682 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Bumping this because I’d be interested to know if anyone in Fetchlandium has one of these and would give it a review. At £200 they’re not cheap and the website is written in vague terms with no measurable commitment actually made. So I’m sceptical. But that’s my usual frame of mind so any experience to share ?
zp
Sep 2019
9:35am, 8 Sep 2019
503 posts
  •  
zp
I bought one as I got fed up with HRMs given bad (useless) readings for me, and thought this would give me some equivalent way of measuring effort.

I never use it now. Not sure if it’s a faulty unit, but more often than not it didn’t work - either recording zero power for the entire run, 1000W output for a gentle stroll, or starting ok then freezing at a particular output after a few minutes. More trouble than it’s worth, I just run to perceived effort now.
Sep 2019
10:21am, 8 Sep 2019
11,318 posts
  •  
Badger
I have one. I'm using it a bit more now than I have in the past, partly to track what it thinks of my training, partly for power targeting for races. That worked really nicely for a half last weekend but it was pretty flat so not much of a challenge for it!
I find the power is noisy and does need a bit of smoothing, but nothing like what zp describes, think his must have been a lemon.

The pace output is smoother than the average current Garmin GPS data, but still noisy. On average it's very good on tarmac, but seems to overread a bit on windy trail, exactly where Garmin GPS tends to underread.
Sep 2019
9:54pm, 8 Sep 2019
8,683 posts
  •  
Son of a Pronator Man
Thanks for the comments. It doesn’t sound like something I will buy.
Dec 2021
1:41pm, 28 Dec 2021
707 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Any other insights from you that have one.
I’m looking for something to give me accurate pace under trees and next to mountains and buildings and so on.
But I guess if it’s lacking accuracy too I might as well keep using FR 945 gps.

How do you use yours?
Does the new one work ok in wet and muddy conditions?
Do you get any new and nice info with watt and so on?
And are stryd going to close to the payed prescription account, that you probably have to pay that to if you want every useful data?
Dec 2021
5:29pm, 30 Dec 2021
1,018 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
A simpler way to keep track of pace with poor GPS reception would be to add a Garmin footpod. Note that your stride length won't be as consistent on technical trails. Having said that, newer watches have more channels for satellites, and can receive from multiple systems, so I don't find the watch on its own to be much of a problem any more. YMMV.
Dec 2021
5:43pm, 30 Dec 2021
715 posts
  •  
Bowman 🇸🇪
Stryd is supposed to far better, even better than good gps coverage.
And Garmin foot pod is discontinued.
Stryd also is fine in terrain and different stride lengths. Apparently.
But, it’s rumored that Garmin has its own new pod on its way with native power and so on.
Well we’ll see :)
Dec 2021
5:57pm, 30 Dec 2021
1,019 posts
  •  
Nord SledRunner
Ok, I haven't used my Garmin pod in a while. A coros watch gives a power readout but i have no idea how it correlates with Stryd.
Dec 2021
5:59pm, 30 Dec 2021
1,347 posts
  •  
Big_G
I have Stryd, but I don’t pay the subscription so can’t comment on that. The training plans are available without subscription, which works for me.

I have had it soaked a few times but not really ran with it in very muddy conditions.

Probably I don’t make the most of it really as I still use GPS for distance/pace, but I mainly use the power data alongside my HR data for training.

It is supposed to take account of air power, but I seem to have, errrm, ‘variable’ results with that.

About This Thread

Maintained by olde english
stryd.com I'm bored (injured) so therefore shopping. Anybody purchased a Stryd foot pod...