Stretching: how much and how long?

5 watchers
Mar 2020
7:05am, 3 Mar 2020
10,484 posts
  •  
larkim
(I might be better than you at the moment HG, but I'm most definitely not better than you as an athlete!)
Mar 2020
7:11am, 3 Mar 2020
5,483 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I’m not a good runner but I have plenty of personal experience of injury :)

I only stretch when I’ve been running with a group and I feel it’s expected of me. In my study of one, I’ve not noticed any correlation between stretching or not and injury - by far the biggest factor for me in reducing injury has been improving my running form.
Mar 2020
7:14am, 3 Mar 2020
5,484 posts
  •  
Fragile Do Not Bend
I also think strength exercises help, as well as active (rather than passive) stretching. But that’s done in a separate session to running.
Mar 2020
7:14am, 3 Mar 2020
3,812 posts
  •  
westmoors
I don't stretch to prevent injury. Stretching after exercise is to return muscles to their original length. I find it prevents muscle soreness.
Mar 2020
9:11am, 3 Mar 2020
6,011 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I stretch very regularly, every morning I devote a timeslot to it and have a fixed routine that I try and adhere to. Stretching helps me a lot, but then I have an inflammatory arthritis condition that needs to be managed and this is an important part of it. For instance, if I don't regularly stretch my hamstrings I get terrific lower back pain from the QLs.
Mar 2020
5:02pm, 6 Mar 2020
12,073 posts
  •  
Garfield
I do yoga as part strengthening, part stretching. An hour, several times a week. I've started the mornings with Sun Salutations as well as a way to warm up my muscles recently.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by rwelpton
Been stretching after runs for ages: I keep adding stretches as I get niggles and injuries. Almost 4...