Stretching

2 watchers
Jul 2016
9:09am, 6 Jul 2016
15,553 posts
  •  
Diogenes
I need to do some general stretching and lengthening exercises as I am getting quite inflexible and notice that my muscles, especially in my legs, are very tight, and when I do stretch it seems to trigger off cramp.

Can anyone point me at some good resources and advise how to start?
Jul 2016
10:11am, 6 Jul 2016
6,842 posts
  •  
becca7
Yoga helps. Lots of good vids on YouTube. There are also specific ones for runners. I like Sarah Beth Yoga on there.
Jul 2016
10:16am, 6 Jul 2016
15,557 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Thanks Becca
Jul 2016
10:56am, 6 Jul 2016
926 posts
  •  
westmoors
There are lots of good books/websites on stretching and flexibility with detailed instructions and diagrams. One good site for runners is Kinetic Revolution.

However, if you prefer to watch and copy, YouTube is useful. As well as yoga, look for body balance. Also search for specific muscle stretches e.g. calf (gastrocnemius & soleus), hamstring, quadriceps, hip flexor, glutes etc

Cramp may be an indication of salt imbalance and/or poor hydration.
Jul 2016
11:01am, 6 Jul 2016
15,576 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Yes, I suspect that the wrong sort of hydration has something to do with it.
Jul 2016
2:00pm, 6 Jul 2016
1,508 posts
  •  
RunningInCircles
Yoga is good.

If you want a book with some good resources on surviving stretches and issues, look a Supple Leopard. Expensive but very comprehensive.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
I need to do some general stretching and lengthening exercises as I am getting quite inflexible and ...