Flexibility of a runner?

8 watchers
Jan 2012
3:43pm, 10 Jan 2012
8,329 posts
  •  
Pootle
I find running makes me very inflexible, I tend to do the bulk of my races/training in the first half of the year which really cramps my social butterfly-ness.

:-p
Jan 2012
3:44pm, 10 Jan 2012
1,373 posts
  •  
southendal
Thanks for the link Alf.

*starts stretching*
Jan 2012
3:45pm, 10 Jan 2012
4,336 posts
  •  
lammo
I thought lengthening your stride wasn't good for you, as we all had a natural stride length which was best for us, no?
Jan 2012
3:49pm, 10 Jan 2012
3,389 posts
  •  
Jhuff
Lammo,

It is very common and normal for both STRIDE length and Range of motion to fluctuate during a run. Mainly due to the speed of the run and the technique employed by the runner.
Jan 2012
3:53pm, 10 Jan 2012
699 posts
  •  
Mr Alf Tupper
running tightens the muscles and therefore decreases the length of your stride so u aren't actually running with ur 'natural stride' length, flexibility training helps u maintain a good stride. Ur theory lammo is generly used by people who CBA stretching :p
Jan 2012
4:03pm, 10 Jan 2012
4,337 posts
  •  
lammo
i thought it felt quite homely :-)
Jan 2012
12:14pm, 30 Jan 2012
148 posts
  •  
Devoted2Distance
I think flexibility is key in running... I've always been pretty bendy but find doing exercise to strengthen my core helps my form and posture whilst running.

If you look at people having a bad run, they're usually hunched over, not getting enough oxygen in and looking/feeling negative. No PB is going to come from that..

I find bending over backwards and doing upside down push-ups is the best core exercise ;]
Jan 2012
12:52pm, 30 Jan 2012
4,434 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I have very tight hip flexors which isnt good. Been bollocked from physio so am now working on stretching a bit more. I am also working on my core to gain more stability and hopefully help reduce the constant injuries I seem to suffer from.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Jhuff
Ok....the floor is open for discussion. Let's try to get along and agree on everything...LOL

Ps, the title should be " flexibility needs of a runner". Somehow my phone messed it up ;-)