Spine Race 2021

7 watchers
Feb 2021
5:54pm, 27 Feb 2021
17,892 posts
  •  
KinkyS
£100 for no checkpoints and a largely self-sufficient race? Ouch!

Tempted to do it as a long day out though - train to Edale and finish at home :-)
Feb 2021
6:01pm, 27 Feb 2021
19,854 posts
  •  
Rosehip
-wonders if I can get to Edale on the train from here, and if I could kip on your floor at the end ;)
Feb 2021
6:13pm, 27 Feb 2021
17,894 posts
  •  
KinkyS
We do have beds you know ;-)
Feb 2021
6:28pm, 27 Feb 2021
2,547 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Kinky I think £££ are what the new races at The Spine are all about. The new partners in the business look like they want more of a return. What will be interesting is where they will get the additional manpower from to enable it all? The Spine has always worked by the workforce rolling up the country as checkpoints at the back end closed and ones at the front end opened. Having another race starting at Hawes on Day 2 plus the additional competitors in the Sprint at the south end of the route on Day 1 is going require a lot more support staff. By Monday evening they could have competitors spread over the better part of 200 miles, potentially in severe winter weather. Given how they have seemed to have struggled with logistics in the past, especially when they've failed to appreciate how fast people at the front end were going to go, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see issues, particularly next January.
Feb 2021
7:37pm, 27 Feb 2021
1,445 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
Yes - and the IT is pretty poor to be honest. Lots of inconsistencies and versions of the truth, over use of Facebook.
Feb 2021
7:49pm, 27 Feb 2021
2,550 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
Comms and consistency have never been their strong points!
Feb 2021
6:33am, 28 Feb 2021
1,560 posts
  •  
Gromit
I’m doing the full summer version , it’s was deferred from last year but I’m sensing it will be a much bigger race now with lots of additional places suddenly being opened up ... I can’t blame them as they are trying to make up lost revenue etc .... there have been quite a few comments from the regular volunteers that they aren’t too chuffed about the extra work involved created by the “challenge north” and “sprint” events ... the CP’s are likely to be carnage so I’ll be adjusting my plan to doing more of my “cat naps” away from the CP’s
Feb 2021
8:46am, 28 Feb 2021
2,551 posts
  •  
flyingfinn
I think that's smart Gromit.

Upsetting their regular, experienced volunteers isn't a good route to be going down. It's always worth remembering that it's very easy for volunteers to walk away. Then the grand scheme to add extra revenue risks turning into one of increased costs as they find themselves paying for manpower that previously came for free. And/or you end up delivering a sub-standard event through the loss of all the previous experience and suffer the consequences of that. Particularly as observation would suggest that most Spine races have very much been held together by the people on the ground.
Feb 2021
9:02am, 28 Feb 2021
49,160 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
If anyone wants to do my new Spine Swindle event I’ll take forty quid off them for pointing them which way to go at Top Withins on their way from Hebden Bridge to Ponden reservoir
Feb 2021
9:17am, 28 Feb 2021
1,446 posts
  •  
Totriornottotri
😂 see also virtual races in general.

About This Thread

Maintained by Totriornottotri
Any other fetchies in? I have snook in from the back of the wait list (which was over 200 people lon...