Speccy four-eyes

9 watchers
Nov 2018
8:54pm, 23 Nov 2018
2,701 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
As I wear glasses to work and contacts at weekends or on holiday, I am on a three monthly subscription with Boots. I pay a third of what a daily user would and get thirty pairs every quarter. Doing the maths, you can tell that a surplus will build up eventually. No problem, as I can suspend the Direct Debit payments for up to six months' in a calendar year.

As a bonus, all eye tests are free and I can get half-price glasses (or is it frames?), plus collect Boots Advantage points.
Nov 2018
10:36am, 26 Nov 2018
18,157 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I was on that sort of thing, but I've built up such a surplus that I've just had to cancel. I think I was at 6 boxes over at one time.
Nov 2018
10:44am, 26 Nov 2018
36,897 posts
  •  
McGoohan
I have an appointment for an eye test on Wednesday. I think my eyes have deteriorated quite a bit in the last two years. :-(
Gus
Dec 2018
8:12am, 1 Dec 2018
1,553 posts
  •  
Gus
I went on Thursday for my now annual eye test, I had noticed a bit of deterioration in my right eye over the past couple of months. It turns out that it’s the beginning of cateracts, no need to worry at the moment it is still very early according to optician. Just more of the joys of getting older.
Dec 2018
9:27am, 1 Dec 2018
428 posts
  •  
megster
Am -4 in both eyes and a slight stigmatise in one. I wear contacts all day everyday, only take them out When I get home. Specsavers monthly’s a £18 a month - I get the expensive ones cos I wear them so much. No issues With running or cycling! You also get a free pair of specs every 2 years on the scheme.
Dec 2018
9:40pm, 1 Dec 2018
2,723 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Wore my contact lenses to run this morning but the vision in my right eye is not as good as it should be. I may have slightly scratched the eye which usually takes a few weeks to heal as it feels a tad sore this evening.
Sep 2019
1:26pm, 20 Sep 2019
18,854 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Here's one for you.

Right now, I'm beginning to have trouble reading with contact lenses in. I don't need vision correction to read, and the myopia correction I'm getting means my eyes are struggling.

In day-to-day life it's an easy fix - I take my glasses off, but I run in contact lenses.

What this means, is I can't read my Garmin screen very easily, especially in low light, with the backlight on.

It's set up with three fields, Distance - time - Pace, and I've given up all hope in seeing the other screen which is Lap metrics (Lap distance - lap time - Lap Pace and number of laps).

I don't really want to spend my time scrolling through screens, but I would like to be able to see at least time - pace - distance on a screen.

Has anyone found any screen settings that work best for them? Mine's a FR235. Alternatively, is there a Garmin (I'm rather keen it should be a Garmin as that's where all my data is and what my scales link up to) suitable for daily wear which has a more readable output than the 235 that I might ask Santa for if I've been a good boy?
Sep 2019
3:06pm, 20 Sep 2019
3,258 posts
  •  
FergusG
Might make more sense to have your optician dial back the strength on one of your lenses? I'm told that your brain will then process the appropriate left or right 'feed' and favour the one that focuses correctly. Haven't tried it myself, but I've the same problem as you and expect to go down this route when I next get my eyes tested.

Apparently 'Concentric Multifocal Contacts' are also a thing, but they sound like witchcraft to me!
Sep 2019
3:10pm, 20 Sep 2019
18,858 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Having completed the cycle and run legs of a triathlon with one lens in after losing it in the swim, I can certainly vouch that it is technically possible to cope with one eye focussed correctly, although it isn't something I'd like to try again in a hurry.

I'll speak to the optician to see what's needed. I need new glasses soon anyway...
Sep 2019
5:06pm, 24 Sep 2019
557 posts
  •  
Groundhog
Hi DeeGee, I have exactly the same issue - my arms aren't long enough :-)
Hopefully more of a help - I have two main screens on my Garmin 630 and display two fields on one (Distance and Time) and one on the other (Pace). I get a bigger font size with less data on the screen so I can see it more easily. When I'm running on road at night I check my watch as I pass under a street light.

I think your 235 could be set similarly.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I have a question for glasses wearers. Historically, I have run in contact lenses, but often wear gl...