Silly question: should I buy new shoes? (Brooks Glycerin)

1 watcher
Sep 2019
12:04pm, 25 Sep 2019
176 posts
  •  
Pierre
Hi all - VERY long time, no post, etc.

Sorry if this is a n00b question, I've previously replaced my shoes whenever I've realised I've run about 500 miles in them - usually accompanied by visiting a running shop, trying on a new pair of shoes and realising how much more springy they feel!

I'm currently running in a pair of Brooks Glycerin 7s (yes, that's how irregularly I've been running) that have clocked up a bit over 500 miles now. My wife can't run the Royal Parks Half next month and I'm planning on taking her place. My shoes feel OK, I think; I'm super busy at work so can't get to any running shops to try new shoes... so I'm asking The Internet! (well, the collected wisdom of Fetchies)

For those of you who run in Glycerins, are the new ones (17s?) significantly different from older models? Is it a good idea to switch shoes three weeks before a half? (that said, switching to a newer model of the same shoe, and I've never had problems with them in the past AND they're a _really_ comfortable shoe...) Should I have posted this at all, or should I have just searched previous threads for the answer?

As ever, I'd appreciate any advice you can offer. :)
Sep 2019
12:22pm, 25 Sep 2019
3,383 posts
  •  
Molesy
I'm no expert but I would say three weeks is plenty of time to find out if you don't get on with them and if you don't then reverting back to your old ones won't be the end of the world.
Sep 2019
12:59pm, 25 Sep 2019
1,910 posts
  •  
FurryH
Even if you get close and decide to buy new compeed do a stick which helps stop blisters. Not cheap but could do as last resort.
Sep 2019
1:12pm, 25 Sep 2019
177 posts
  •  
Pierre
Fair point - thanks Molesy.

Time to go shopping... :)
Sep 2019
3:16pm, 25 Sep 2019
4,864 posts
  •  
minardi
If you don't get grief from the current pair (my knees ache when my shoes need changing), then I wouldn't change them just yet!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Pierre
Hi all - VERY long time, no post, etc.

Sorry if this is a n00b question, I've previously rep...