Shoe type advice

2 watchers
Jan 2021
10:02am, 8 Jan 2021
94 posts
  •  
adiet13
I'm just about to return to gentle running following a big toe fusion.

I used to wear neutral shoes will this still be the case?

Thanks
Jan 2021
10:04am, 8 Jan 2021
8,430 posts
  •  
GordonG
Hi adiet.

does there happen to be any sports shops that do gait analysis near you (that are open)? My advice would be to get one done by a reputable sports shop (where they video your running style) and see what they say.

Good luck!
Jan 2021
10:48am, 8 Jan 2021
95 posts
  •  
adiet13
Cheers.

I think they are closed again at the moment hence why I thought I'd try on here.
Jan 2021
1:20pm, 13 Jan 2021
4,095 posts
  •  
Kieren
If you need to take pressure off the toe and plantar fascia, then rocker time shoes mighthelp with that?

*I'm not an expert, just making assumption on my limited knowledge of what the foot does - a podiatrist can advise more*

- like:

all Hoka,

asics novabalst & glide ride.

etc

Perhaps even something that combines that with soft plate support, less ridged than full on carbon like the saucony endorphin speed.

However, as a note of caution, by taking the strain off the toe / PF and supporting muscles - these shoes may strength in the areas they substitute/ enhance ie, decrease your resilience to injury.

I think rocker / plated shoes can be a useful crutch in the short term, as your foot gets stronger, you may want to add a show that lets your foot work a bit more for daily training and keep the fatigue reducing show tech for long runs or speed work.

As more recreational runners are using rocker and plate shoes for daily running, we might see some correlation to see whether this is or isn't an issue pretty soon

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by adiet13
I'm just about to return to gentle running following a big toe fusion.

I used to wear neutra...