•  
Snoot
Another issue with the kindle app is you can’t change background from white
Mar 2021
9:17pm, 21 Mar 2021
1,197 posts
  •  
RunnyBunny
My app does sepia (cream background, brown ink) on iPad and on cheapo minipad but it's still quite glarey, even with the brightness turned down, and not as comfortable to read as a proper Kindle. White is totally yuck. The poorly Kindle is currently being left to discharge. Its last chance is a full recharge then another attempt to get it to do anything. It won't even switch on or do a hard reset at the moment.
Mar 2021
1:12am, 22 Mar 2021
13,831 posts
  •  
larkim
I had a Kindle 3 Keyboard until a year or so ago when it just started to die and wouldn't turn on. I tried a new battery but that didn't work, so bought one of the entry level Kindle 2019 models (including adverts).

Battery life is excellent, being able to read in the dark without waking up my better half is excellent. Really light to hold too. Not a complete fan of having to tap the screen to move pages forward etc, but beyond that I'm perfectly happy.

If you were at all concerned about the presence of ads on there to keep the price down, don't be - as far as I can tell they are just on the lock screen and I just ignore them!!
azx
Mar 2021
7:03am, 22 Mar 2021
189 posts
  •  
azx
I have an Oasis and think it's great. I like the fact it has buttons to page forward and back. It also has bluetooth to play audiobooks, but I tend to listen to those using my phone. I think I have the original Oasis and there appear to be another 2 since then though I don't know what difference they have.

Nothing beats e-paper for reading outdoors. Be great if we could ever get to a beach again.
Mar 2021
3:33pm, 23 Mar 2021
38,129 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I use Kindle app on phone and tablet with white on black background (def works on my Kindle app Snoot) and minimal brightness and large font. Works pretty well. Wouldn't work well outdoors (shiny screen) etc. probably.

Good luck finding something. Watching with interest cos I might get something for my Mum. Needs to be light, easy to hold, with quite large font, but number of books memory capacity doesn't matter. :-) G
Mar 2021
3:39pm, 23 Mar 2021
38,130 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've just googled and the Kindle basic 8GB is only £55. That seems pretty reasonable (£65 with ads turned off. Who would want ads?!) Might get for my Mum's bday! :-) G
Mar 2021
7:10am, 24 Mar 2021
4,964 posts
  •  
westmoors
Received my Fire 7 yesterday to replace my dying 5th gen Kindle. Only intend to use it as an e-reader. So far so good!
Mar 2021
7:41am, 27 Mar 2021
1,198 posts
  •  
RunnyBunny
Ran the poorly Kindle's battery down, recharged, and it still won't even turn on or do a hard reset. Amazon do a trade-in, and even a non-working Kindle gets £5 and a 20% voucher off a qualifying new Kindle. I'm hoping it all gets approved and an Oasis is qualifying, as that would be quite a hefty saving. I think that or a Paperwhite would be my best options. I've been reading on tablets, and find the on-screen page turning less satisfactory hence fancying the Oasis with its buttons, plus I've not exactly had lots of treats over the past year so I think I can justify it.

amazon.co.uk
Mar 2021
7:53am, 27 Mar 2021
45,942 posts
  •  
LindsD
Good to know. We've got two dead ones somewhere. Enjoy your new one
Mar 2021
12:13pm, 27 Mar 2021
35,207 posts
  •  
Nick Cook
Hi RB, I've got a paperwhite you can have (it was my wife's).

If you want it, fetchmail your address and I'll send it to you.

Nick.

About This Thread

Maintained by RunnyBunny
What's my best option for replacing an ancient, basic, much-loved and much-used Kindle?